Like Tree7Likes

Best Lighting Eco-system

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Lighting Eco-system

Which is the best lighting eco-system?

Hue?
    Lifx?

How often do you really need the lighting to function across the full color spectrum? I find the current HUE type setups to be rather gimmicky ... I mean I really don't need full on green / blue / red colors.

Are there any which just allow you to adjust within a normal-ish "warm / cool" range?

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    How often do you really need the lighting to function across the full color spectrum? I find the current HUE type setups to be rather gimmicky ... I mean I really don't need full on green / blue / red colors.

Are there any which just allow you to adjust within a normal-ish "warm / cool" range?
    I'm sure there will be a lot of blather about the xxxx properties of chromotherapy. But I agree just changing the colour temperature should be sufficient.

Some 'smart' things would be nice such as the bathroom mirror normally having warm white late at night and bright white in the morning

Should have added, we bought a bunch of Xiaomi smart bulbs when they were on sale last year - nice to adjust the warmth. The app setup is clunky and buggy.

We have not had to change the temperature / hue settings or go into full on disco mode after the first hour of "oh this is so much fun" playing around.

I can frequently hear the son yelling at his amazon device "turn off/on the bedroom lights".

imparanoic likes this.

I'm very happy with my Xiaomi ecosystem...

I have yeelights, yi table lamps, motion detectors, buttons, weather sensors, air purifier, all under the Mi app - but I also use Home Assistant on the raspberry pi to add a few smarts that the Mi Home app can't do...

Having said that, most people will be satisfied with the Mi Home app - once you figure it out, it's a bit messy to begin with.

shri likes this.

I have lifx lights at my place, as shri said the the hue changing function is novelty : something to impress guests when they drop by, but using google home to turn off all the lights with a voice command is fantastic.

Though lifx seems to have a crappy wifi and I've had issues with bulbs randomly dropping and not connecting back to network. Some users online suggest that this can be fixed either by getting a Samsung Smart Home hub, or setup a SSID just for the lights. Haven't got around to try either.

Don't have experience with Hue but my friend uses it and seems to be fine for him.

An early consensus seems to be

- Different colour is a gimmick
    - Warm or Bright white can be useful in some instances
    - On / Off / Dim is useful

So why not just get a smart switch?

So why not just get a smart switch?
    The phone / smart device is the new "smart switch"? Not sure how expensive or compatible these smart switches are - will they work with all sorts of bulbs / phone / smart home devices?

WiFi light bulbs really look a solution searching for a problem. Apart from maybe switching them on and off during holidays, I struggle to think of a use-case for us.

I've used the Mi bulbs but eventually switched over to Philips Hue, I only have one coloured bulb for the lamp in the living room, a coloured LED strip that goes around the living room TV, and the rest of the ceiling lights are their white bulbs.

Since IKEA very recently brought out their smart bulbs, I've since replaced all the lamp bulbs I had with these (they're about a third of the price of a Philips Hue white bulb), and they integrate with the hub perfectly.

It is all a bit of a gimmick, the biggest of which is whenever I watch a movie, the LEDs at the back of the TV mimics the colours of the screen, and the biggest use for it is the ability to switch off all the lights without getting out of bed.

Having the lights turn to a pure white is a bonus for me whenever I do some vlogging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast