Like Tree61Likes

Solar power system on village house

Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,206

    just wondering, how long will you recuperate the cost?


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars
    I'm curious how your electricity supply switches between solar and mains? Does the solar system plug straight into your current wiring?

    I'm super jealous... would love a setup like yours on my village house.
    Yea they installed it to plug into the existing electrical system in the house; it seamlessly switches between main and solar. TBH I'm no expert to explain lol

    All it takes is a little initiative by the government to make renewables work in HK.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    just wondering, how long will you recuperate the cost?
    I'm paying about 3600 HKD every 2 months for my CLP bill because all my appliances including stove top and water heater is electric. However, the cost recoup will speed up hopefully dramatically once they announce the buy back rate for CLP/HKE. I've held up from getting solar for a few years because I may possibly not be in HK by the time the cost recoups but with the government subsidy to CLP/HKE for renewable energy buy back I'm thinking it should be within 5-7 years. Then it'll make money for me (like I'm driving my Tesla into the ground until it basically pays me to drive it compared to gasoline car). Yes, penny pincher here =P
    imparanoic and Skyhook like this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by henkka
    So, if your neighbour installed panels these should be elevated above yours, or ?
    It's hard to describe without drawing a diagram... but if you laid your panels flat on your village house roof, the "walls" of the roof area (remember our HK village houses' roof is already enclosed by a meter plus high wall and not an actual flat roof like overseas), the wall would create shadows plus you won't be able to use your roof for much else without stepping on them. So they are mounted on a frame instead. As long as your neighbor next door also mounts them at the same height they won't be close enough to affect your array. I mean sure if someone wants to be an asshole they can build an array 20 feet in the air to block my sunlight LOL but I'm hoping they won't =)

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I'm paying about 3600 HKD every 2 months for my CLP bill because all my appliances including stove top and water heater is electric. However, the cost recoup will speed up hopefully dramatically once they announce the buy back rate for CLP/HKE. I've held up from getting solar for a few years because I may possibly not be in HK by the time the cost recoups but with the government subsidy to CLP/HKE for renewable energy buy back I'm thinking it should be within 5-7 years. Then it'll make money for me (like I'm driving my Tesla into the ground until it basically pays me to drive it compared to gasoline car). Yes, penny pincher here =P

    do you have more than 2 air conditioners running in multiple rooms often? now that you are using solar panels, will you use more electric? also what's the lifespan of solar panels? do they work for 10 years without any servicing?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    do you have more than 2 air conditioners running in multiple rooms often? now that you are using solar panels, will you use more electric? also what's the lifespan of solar panels? do they work for 10 years without any servicing?
    I usually have 1 going in the main living room during the day if the helper is home, I THINK that's a 2 or 2.5hp (1.9kw). The cooktop and water heater is a big drain as well. LOL guess try to shower and cook during the day time before the CLP buy back comes into effect.

    I don't think I'll use more power, but it'll be a bit more guilt free. Plus the solar array blocks half the direct sun hitting my roof during the day which hopefully will translate to cooler room temp in my house this summer. And it'll be nice in winter too since I switched all the ACs to inverter with heat functions last year.

    Think solar panels lose their efficiency as they age; the better quality the less efficiency they lose. And they lose the most in the first few years and taper out. As long as they're not physically broken by things like hail storms I think they will still produce power, at a lower rate but still power. As another member mentioned, maintenance would be wiping them with a mop or broom so prevent dust from blocking the sun
    imparanoic likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I usually have 1 going in the main living room during the day if the helper is home, I THINK that's a 2 or 2.5hp (1.9kw). The cooktop and water heater is a big drain as well. LOL guess try to shower and cook during the day time before the CLP buy back comes into effect.

    I don't think I'll use more power, but it'll be a bit more guilt free. Plus the solar array blocks half the direct sun hitting my roof during the day which hopefully will translate to cooler room temp in my house this summer. And it'll be nice in winter too since I switched all the ACs to inverter with heat functions last year.

    Think solar panels lose their efficiency as they age; the better quality the less efficiency they lose. And they lose the most in the first few years and taper out. As long as they're not physically broken by things like hail storms I think they will still produce power, at a lower rate but still power. As another member mentioned, maintenance would be wiping them with a mop or broom so prevent dust from blocking the sun
    thanks for the information

    i presume that as you procured this solar panel and inverter form CLP /HKe, the panels are of high quality and from decent manufacturers, presumably with a warranty, maybe even 10 year warranty?

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    thanks for the information

    i presume that as you procured this solar panel and inverter form CLP /HKe, the panels are of high quality and from decent manufacturers, presumably with a warranty, maybe even 10 year warranty?
    I got it from a guy who installed a 7kw system on Lantau. Someone made a post about this being for rent on the Tesla forum and I contacted him for his installer. He used Canadian Solar branded panels and yes they have warranty (have to check if it's 10 years though, that seems quite a long warranty on any products exposed to the elements). As mentioned one could have gone much cheaper by Taobao or Ebaying a system and installing it themselves but this guy works with CLP/HKE on projects as well as projects in Macau and told me price includes all the paper work to get it legit with CLP.

    Picture of the 7kw system on Lantau:
    Name:  Golden Coast.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  363.9 KB

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1

    Hello Titus,

    Thanks for your interesting post. I am totally new to the solar project so allow me to ask this seemly simply question. With CLP offering 4 hkd per kwh how much would you earn per day on average with your 5 kw system? Is it 4 times 5 times 24 = 480 hkd? Or just your 30 kwh times 4 = 120 hkd? Have you now an overview of your average solar production per day? I came across this power calculator. Too complicated for me now but it might help you: Solar Power Calculator

    Titus likes this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    848

    New update, will be another 2 weeks before CLP can come over to inspect my system to make it legit. My installer has taken photos and readings with tools to send to CLP, they will evaluate and approve and then do an inspection with a CLP technician who will then install a CLP meter in between the solar system and my home grid.

    I appreciate the guy sounds very knowledgeable about benefits and issues with different types of systems. A lot of installers pushes the off grid hybrid system powered off batteries. The reason being something about systems under 100volts does not need an electric license an elementary school kid is allowed to work on it. But the batteries only lasts 9 months which costs 50k HKD..... Even the ones he carries which are guaranteed for 10 years (and even he admits don't take manufacturer word for it and assume 3-5 years) costs 100k. There's no way those systems will recoup their costs but installer loves them for money making potential. The grid tied system like mine will not work if the CLP grid is down and the inverter detects it and shuts down the solar power side within fractions of a second. CLP will need to verify this function on the inverter (my installer only uses the German SMA brand which are supposed to be one of the top brands that lasts 25 years) because its for their worker safety. If there's a black out during the day their repair crews don't want to be zapped by our solar power going the other way. Speaking or life time for parts, he claims the panels he sources will last at least 20 to 30 years with only cleaning as the maintenance.

    The way safety redundancy is routed too is CLP specific as is some of the parts he uses that are solar system specific switches not from Reclamation Street. LOL sorry sound like his salesman but I love dealing with people who know what they are doing, refreshing for once

    shri likes this.

Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast