Like Tree16Likes

Buying from Yahoo Japan auctions

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Back to topic... I did check some lens and camera hardware in Japan and it seems not really cheaper compare to HK. And then you get transaction and shipping etc on top.

So I wonder, what lenses are really cheap in Japan?
    Older Japanese manufactured lenses such as Contax and Nikon. To get maximum bargain, you need to do your homework and purchase whilst in Japan. On paper, the prices in Japan is about the same as HK, then factor in 8% tax off and their mum more stringent grading system. A class B lens over there (optically near perfect with a few tiny dust specks inside, but exterior is slightly worn from everyday use), would be deemed as near top grade over here, so this lens in HK would fetch/sell for more than the listing price you normally see.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    then factor in 8% tax off
    There is tax off on 2nd hand stuff? But I see, each item need to check individually.

Tax off wouldn't work for me anyway, I have a friend (JP resident) coming over.

I normally visit shops such as Niniwa, Lucky Camera or Lemon who have a large selection of second hand vintage lenses rather than deal with personal second hand sales due to language issues. These all do tax free. I find that the shops are quite aligned in their grading system in Japan, and are very stringent on them, it could be that they value their grading as a form of business honesty to build loyalty with their customers. Having examined over a hundred of these lenses whenever I'm in Japan, I know off the top of my head what each grading is and if a lens is listed as a certain grade, I'll know the condition it is in. Personally, for a balance between price and quality of optics, I always go for the B grade.

flameproof likes this.

Good call, one can search their 2nd hand stock:

http://cameranonaniwa.jp

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5