Like Tree25Likes

Spilt coffee on Mac air

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Original Post Deleted
    Hong Kong Basic Law, Article 4

Original Post Deleted
    Sorry, incorrect wording, had just woken up. Its company policy to that, as the repair notes can be presented in a legal case.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    So if liquid has touched the impervious plastic casing, Apple thinks that it needs to be replaced? Using "water touched it, must be replaced" without any further depth means the aluminium shell should be replaced. Both plastic and aluminium are equally water resistant, and plastic is usually more chemically inert than Al.

I have custom Li-Ion packs in conditions that see them occasionally exposed to rainwater, cells from 5-7 years ago are still perfectly fine today. In HK, RC boats, airsoft guns, use Lipo and they get wet all the time.

Edit: I guess this is just Apple being Apple, and why it's a good idea to use a third party place that does deeper analysis.
    Firstly, no part inside a MacBook Air AFAIK is just plastic, it at least has some electrical components to it. Remember, when a technician is looking inside a computer after it has suffered liquid damage, 3rd party technicians included, they are looking at the aftermath of the incident, so they cannot judge where and how the liquid 'travelled' to. Liquid present, watermarks and corrosion are just some of the signs of liquid contact, but not all.

You believe that the electrical contacts of the battery is hard for liquid to get to to affect the battery, but experience tells me that that is not the case. It's not just the connector itself, which includes the connector of the battery but also the 'female' connector on the logic board, but the circuitry linking to that connector around the board that needs to be considered.

I have presented actual experience and cases to you, yet you choose to disbelieve, that is your choice.

Recently I dealt with a customer who had spilt water on their MBP. It was still miraculously able to switch on but the trackpad was not working, half the display was in a different colour, the ports were not working, and it was running super slow. The customer just wanted to get the trackpad replaced, and going against the company's policy, the technician obliged. 2 weeks laters the replaced trackpad failed again, and this customer had the balls to blame it on the quality of the repair, not the fact that the entire internals of the MBP was now corroded, and a few baby spiders had called it home. See, there are people like this on this planet who are just anal.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

For the next one, I recommend the clear keyboard covers. Almost invisible and great for preventing coffee spills. (Plus I actually prefer the "softer" key touch of having them there, but that's personal.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4