Like Tree4Likes

Mi app with products from both China and HK?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mi app with products from both China and HK?

For those that use Xiaomi products at home, can I ask if you have both products that were bought from HK and China installed on one app?

Ive heard that there is a possibility when having products from the 2 regions installed in the app, it would cause issues such as lockdowns (if this was true, Im guessing its Xiaomis way if region lockdowns).

Theres a few things from Xiaomi Ive seen online that are not available in HK. I currently use their air purifier (HK version), and I havent been able to find much info on this on the internet.

SpeakCantonese likes this.

You have 2 options.

1. Install 2 copies of the Mi App and connect one to the China server and one to whichever other server you want
    - con's are obviously that the non-China installation won't be able to control the China stuff
    - also dependent on your phone/tablet OS

2. Install the China app
    - benefit is everything is supported
    - biggest con is third party 'western' services such as IFTTT, Google, Alexa are not supported (personally, I work around this by using Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi as an intermediary)

shri and Proplus like this.

Sorry let me clarify, it's the same app, but when you start it you choose the region you want to connect to.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    if this was true, Im guessing its Xiaomis way if region lockdowns.
    if true it is another stupid move. people are more mobile today than ever before and should be able to use kit without regional restrictions, imagine only being able to use your phone in one region, people will switch and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert
    if true it is another stupid move. people are more mobile today than ever before and should be able to use kit without regional restrictions, imagine only being able to use your phone in one region, people will switch and never look back.
    You can use it anywhere, I can use the China servers from outside China no problem.

The restrictions are at the backend ..

Am I the only one who can't help but wonder if XiaoMi products are secretly contributing towards a surveillance state? Maybe not at present... but once everyone has Xiaomi everything installed, including security cameras at home - am I being paranoid to wonder if the Chinese government would ever demand access to all this data?

Because it's not like the CCP to exert influence on private businesses of course .... no siree...

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    Am I the only one who can't help but wonder if XiaoMi products are secretly contributing towards a surveillance state? Maybe not at present... but once everyone has Xiaomi everything installed, including security cameras at home - am I being paranoid to wonder if the Chinese government would ever demand access to all this data?

Because it's not like the CCP to exert influence on private businesses of course .... no siree...
    Privacy is dead.
    We already have listening devices in our pockets, homes, fridges, tv's, cars ...
    There is already AI which is good enough to identify moving individuals in crowds, in realtime.
    Phone calls, Internet traffic has been monitored by numerous world governments for years.

We are already in a surveillance state.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    You have 2 options.

1. Install 2 copies of the Mi App and connect one to the China server and one to whichever other server you want
    - con's are obviously that the non-China installation won't be able to control the China stuff
    - also dependent on your phone/tablet OS

2. Install the China app
    - benefit is everything is supported
    - biggest con is third party 'western' services such as IFTTT, Google, Alexa are not supported (personally, I work around this by using Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi as an intermediary)
    Thought so, but your answer did make me realise I can install the same app on another device and control it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    Thought so, but your answer did make me realise I can install the same app on another device and control it from there.
    On Android at least, you can install 2 copies of the same app (which is what I do with the Mi Home app)

Quote Originally Posted by tparker

Do you use a Facebook or Google account?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast