2nd hand lens Zeiss 50mm 1.4 FE

BLW

2nd hand lens Zeiss 50mm 1.4 FE

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this makes sens in a context of a second hand lens, but seeing the new price is 10k HKD on price.hk, I thought I'd try and ask.

Is there any place you could suggest to buy a second hand Zeiss 50mm 1.4 FE ? What kind of price would I be looking at ?

I browsed this forum a bit, and found a place called DC fever, but using their search function, I couldn't find much of this lens (they do have some other modern lenses).

If the price second hand isn't much different I may just hold up a little before taking the plunge for a new 50 mm.

I usually like to shoot very shallow DOF for portrait and during night time, so 1.4 would suit my needs.

Thanks!

When buying used you have to be lucky that someone is selling. In general (newer) used lenses go for 10-20% off current retailprice.

From what I've seen this lens is stunning, that might be one of the reasons that nobody is selling. On the other hand most A7/9x shooters that I know already own an arsenal of fast fifties (be it on canon/nikon or leica mount) and just don't want to spend 10k on a 50mm lens with FE mount.

Quote Originally Posted by BLW
    Hi Guys,

Not sure if this makes sens in a context of a second hand lens, but seeing the new price is 10k HKD on price.hk, I thought I'd try and ask.

Is there any place you could suggest to buy a second hand Zeiss 50mm 1.4 FE ? What kind of price would I be looking at ?

I browsed this forum a bit, and found a place called DC fever, but using their search function, I couldn't find much of this lens (they do have some other modern lenses).

If the price second hand isn't much different I may just hold up a little before taking the plunge for a new 50 mm.

I usually like to shoot very shallow DOF for portrait and during night time, so 1.4 would suit my needs.

Thanks!
    You mean this?

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=232145

You'll probably find a good one 2nd hand in Sim City in MK for around HK$9k but you'll really have to hunt for it.

I would personally recommend the 55mm f1.8 instead which is sharper than the Zeiss 50/1.4, slightly longer in focal length which would be better for portrait work. I have one and it is razor sharp. I'm guessing you're using a A7x of some sort, and with their usable high ISO and dynamic range, losing a half stop of light wouldn't be the end of the world, just one slight adjustment in shutter speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BLW
    If you don't mind manual focusing, you may also want to check out the Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 (or the cheaper f/1.4 version).

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus

I would personally recommend the 55mm f1.8 instead which is sharper than the Zeiss 50/1.4, slightly longer in focal length which would be better for portrait work. I have one and it is razor sharp. I'm guessing you're using a A7x of some sort, and with their usable high ISO and dynamic range, losing a half stop of light wouldn't be the end of the world, just one slight adjustment in shutter speed.
    the sony/zeiss 55/1.8 is a nice alternative, but sharpness isn't the most important thing about a lens. the 5mm difference is also neglible, a 58mm lens would still be considered a fifty and handles pretty much the same. A huge advantage that the sony/zeiss has is size and weight, the zeiss 50/1.4 is gigantic and heavy, another advantage would be price. The 55/1.8 can be had for under 5k used now.