Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenCatalonia
  • 1 Post By woteva6891

Fixing an old, frayed power adaptor

Fixing an old, frayed power adaptor

I have a magsafe adapter for an old Macbook model, which works fine but the cable is getting quite frayed. Before I buy a replacement for a rip-off price from Apple, is there some place in Shamshuipo or somewhere that can replace the cable section?

I bought just the cable on Taobao. Replacing it is a bit tricky though. You need to crack open the case and de-solder/solder it. I suggest you get a new complete 3rd party adapter, and sell the bad cable on eBay.

I would agree, I had to open up the converter (plastic) box at the end to remove and repair the intermittent break in the power cable for a Lenovo Laptop that my SWMBO was using.

A red hot box cutter knife heated in a gas flame and done several times ensure that the power container was "cracked" open and access to the mains termination inside was got to.

Shortening the power cable and resoldering the connection was but a matter of minutes - but - of course, one does need a soldering iron, solder, dexterity, and suitable glue to "stitch/glue" the electronics box back together again for safe operation.

I effected this "surgery" many years ago, and it is still going strong !

It ain't difficult if one is skilled, and saved a bundle of loot !!

angeluscomplex and spode like this.

Sounds like too much of a project for me! I was watching some Youtube clips that showed ways to fix frayed cables with heat shrink tubes or "liquid tape" products. Any idea where to buy this stuff, preferably on HK-side?

i highly recommend Sugru moldable plastic glue which i have used on multiple macbook magsafe cables cause it just works

shri likes this.