Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Elefant&Castle
  • 1 Post By flameproof

AI - Do you say "please" and "thank you"

AI - Do you say "please" and "thank you"

An interesting perspective to you consider...

Knowing that the response / service you're going to get does not have any human on the other end, do you say "please" and "thank you" to the AI serving you.

I know someone who says please and thank you to their smart device, but at the same time does not do the same with their ATM machine - which also performs a service. Perhaps because the ATM does not have a human touch.

From Seth Godin's daily mailer over the weekend:

There are two reasons we say please and thank you.

The first is pretty obvious. It gives the other person dignity. It acknowledges their humanity. It implies that at some level, this engagement is voluntary.

But of course, none of this is true when were talking to Siri or Alexa.

Theres a second reason.

It helps us realize that we might be acting entitled. We forget to bring humility along. Please is a narrative to ourselves, one about gratitude and choice. When we start barking orders without regard for what it costs to follow those orders, its easy to forget that time and resources are always scarce.

Even when its not voluntary, it turns out we benefit when we act as if it might be.

[And should an AI say please and thank you to us? Probably.

What we have to watch out for is when the AI demands "say please" before it performs the requested task...

civil_servant and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    What we have to watch out for is when the AI demands "say please" before it performs the requested task...
    Great idea .. it should be included in parental controls.

greenmark likes this.

I suspect it's hard NOT to say please and thank you than you realise. Perhaps to Siri on your phone... but to an AI bot customer service? It's just a cultural norm that's hard to break (and I'd prefer not to, HK has already eroded too many of my cultural norms!)

How about "Alexa/Google - SHUT UP!"