Like Tree29Likes

Converting MiniDisc into Cd/MP3? Where to do this in HK?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bdw

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    If you buy a later stage MiniDisc, they had a USB port and the NetMD logo. These had an (horrible, awful) software called SonicStage, that allowed you to simply copy the audio with zero re-encoding/data loss, if I recall correctly.

But Sony was very horrible with this, imposing a ton of artificial restrictions (probably the reason behind Minidisc doom): You could only transfer the song back if the recording was originally done in the minidisc, using line in or mic in. If the audio was a song transferred from a PC, there was no way to bring it back.
    Yeah I remember having a NetMD in Japan in early 2000's because I hated Apple and didn't want to buy an ipod. But a few years later caved in and got an ipod with 20GB hard drive and was so happy didn't have to use that SonicStage conversion for all my songs anymore
    robertlempriere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    Seems very easy to self do. you will need to install a program called Audacity which will record your MD into your PC.
    you will need an audio cable with jacks on both ends as per the video below.

My last minidisc player (Several moons ago) had an optical connection for direct digital recording, not sure if it also served as an output though.

This could be an option if you have access to a desktop PC (Should have an optical connection?

Nope, optical was always only input. Another limitation by Sony. It won't be useful for extracting the audio. Either analog cable, or USB/SonicStage Atrac import.

Nope, optical was always only input. Another limitation by Sony. It won't be useful for extracting the audio. Either analog cable, or USB/SonicStage Atrac import.
    Bummer!

fostex x55 - it doesnt work anymore (stopped working ages ago!!) - still have it though for memory sake - recording music as a teenager with friends =)

Obviously you need a MiniDisc player. I had one, I think it connected via TOS, so you may need some sort of optical adapter too.

To record I think you need the Sony Software (may not run in Windows 10 anymore, nor sure). But you want to get the from MD to your PC, so worst case you can get it from the headphone jack.

In case you get lots of noise, Audacity has great cleaning functions too.

Oh yeah, SonicStage, those where the days...
    Last edited by flameproof; 15-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.

you need this MD deck with digital output and analog output

https://hk.carousell.com/p/denon-min...l5z4mZoldlvKIu

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    you need this MD deck with digital output and analog output

https://hk.carousell.com/p/denon-min...l5z4mZoldlvKIu
    that's a good looking piece of kit ............... so tempting

* no MDLP support if that's important to you
    imparanoic likes this.

Few topics spark joy on GXP as much as obsolete technology. Sounds like a fun project, OP. You've got the right forum denizen weighing in. Good luck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast