Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Converting MiniDisc into Cd/MP3? Where to do this in HK?

Converting MiniDisc into Cd/MP3? Where to do this in HK?

Hello!

Converting MiniDisc into Cd/MP3? Where can I do this in HK?
    Or if anything is able to do this here, could you help me to do this (I'll pay you for the help of course)

I have some things/music I recorded as a teenager onto Minidiscs that I would like to transfer onto CD or MP3 now.

Thanks!

Seems very easy to self do. you will need to install a program called Audacity which will record your MD into your PC.
    you will need an audio cable with jacks on both ends as per the video below.

Do you have access to a MD player?

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Hey thanks!

The guy on the video needs to sleep more lol!
    I think I threw my Minidisc player years ago. I'll have to check.
    Does my computer need any special equipment apart from installing the "Audacity" softwarer?

Thks!!!

You'd need a device that can read MDs - Non trivial these days. Might be able to pick up something in the second hand shops around Ap Liu Street.

imparanoic likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

do you know that actual name of the tracks on the minidisc? rather than borrowing a Minidisc player or buying one ( around HK$150 or more) than recording it analog wise which loses quality,

if you know the tracks on the albums, especially as MD highest quality was around 160kbps, better option, don't bother, find out the names of the songs on the md album, go on the internet and youtube, find the HD ver of the same tracks and use web based download and down load the song as MP3 in 320kbps which will sound better than MD recordings

shri and huja like this.

If you buy a later stage MiniDisc, they had a USB port and the NetMD logo. These had an (horrible, awful) software called SonicStage, that allowed you to simply copy the audio with zero re-encoding/data loss, if I recall correctly.

But Sony was very horrible with this, imposing a ton of artificial restrictions (probably the reason behind Minidisc doom): You could only transfer the song back if the recording was originally done in the minidisc, using line in or mic in. If the audio was a song transferred from a PC, there was no way to bring it back.

shri, bdw, robertlempriere and 1 others like this.

Thanks! Those songs were my own songs - on the MiniDisc I recorded myself - I mean, some friends and I playing instruments - then eventually went through a Fostex (X-55 for those interested) four track recorder into the MD which recorded us playing...

That's why I'm trying to convert them - they contain music I played/composed as a teenager years ago!

Ok thanks, I'll have a look into this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hkemail888
    Thanks! Those songs were my own songs - on the MiniDisc I recorded myself - I mean, some friends and I playing instruments - then eventually went through a Fostex (X-55 for those interested) four track recorder into the MD which recorded us playing...

That's why I'm trying to convert them - they contain music I played/composed as a teenager years ago!
    can't you use your fostex x55 assuming it has an output direct to computer or midi converter and convert to MP3 or even better flac files

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast