Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyhook

Boeing's AI pilotless Wingman now in service

Boeing's AI pilotless Wingman now in service

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...de-pilots.html

Amazing how rapidly this has come to being a reality, I remember reading about MIT's development of this system for DARPA, and being pretty eye opened as to how effective it is against any human pilot that has the misfortune of going up against one. The mere fact that the system actually watches for any attitude changes of an enemy's aircraft allowing it to predict what they're going to do, not to mention that it can fly well beyond the limitations of any human pilot. In the simulator the system killed every single combat experienced pilot that went head to head with it.

Incredible stuff, you have to admire the sheer technical prowese of it all, a shame that they spend so much money on how best to kill things and not on making the world a better place.. It will be interesting to see how it performs in a real combat situation. That might be a lot sooner than we think.

They have really come a long way, in a very short time. WOW !
    shri likes this.

Actually wouldnt self flying commercial jets be a reality soon?

Compared to self driving cars they have so much less variables to deal with like pedestrians, cyclist, other cars in close proximity etc

The sooner, the better we can get machines to drive, the better it will be. Just in the US, there are over 5 million crashes a year and 30 000 fatalities. To me it's a bit like cancer medication, there may be some bad side effects but if you wait for the perfect solution, there are far more people that will die. Machines will make far less errors than humans, they are not going to decide to crash a plane into buildings or the side of a mountain because they are pissed off or depressed either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Jeremy
    Actually wouldnt self flying commercial jets be a reality soon?

Compared to self driving cars they have so much less variables to deal with like pedestrians, cyclist, other cars in close proximity etc
    Boeing have also been very hard at work, working on their Airline pilotless flight deck systems, which is still in the testing/development phase, i think I said a couple of years ago that being a commercial airline pilot for one of the large airlines, the days are numbered. As soon as the system is more effective and reliable than human pilots,( militarily speaking they already are ) then, no more. when it happens it will be quite rapid the uptake and all existing pax aircraft will be retrofitted with the same system too. Needs to happen, I think. by 2050, ( if not sooner ) you will be a pax on a pilotless commercial aircraft. Technically aircraft already fly themselves, it's a bit like baby sitting and a great time to catch up on reading magazines while FMS equipped aircraft and autopilot take care of the hands on part, plus it can be programmed to auto land albeit with some limitations. The tech has mostly been there for awhile, but AI will take care of abnormal flight scenarios and be able to enact all known procedural solutions, likely a lot faster than a human pilot. Thus reducing the risk of damage to the air frame ( which airline management like ) and loss of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Boeing have also been very hard at work, working on their Airline pilotless flight deck systems, which is still in the testing/development phase, i think I said a couple of years ago that being a commercial airline pilot for one of the large airlines, the days are numbered. As soon as the system is more effective and reliable than human pilots,( militarily speaking they already are ) then, no more. when it happens it will be quite rapid the uptake and all existing pax aircraft will be retrofitted with the same system too. Needs to happen, I think. by 2050, ( if not sooner ) you will be a pax on a pilotless commercial aircraft. Technically aircraft already fly themselves, it's a bit like baby sitting and a great time to catch up on reading magazines while FMS equipped aircraft and autopilot take care of the hands on part, plus it can be programmed to auto land albeit with some limitations. The tech has mostly been there for awhile, but AI will take care of abnormal flight scenarios and be able to enact all known procedural solutions, likely a lot faster than a human pilot. Thus reducing the risk of damage to the air frame ( which airline management like ) and loss of life.
    The issues occur when the AI can't handle the current conditions and hands over to the human. The human probably lacks situational awareness and is presented with a problem too tricky for the machine which has led to crashes already. AF447, the Asia Asia Indonesia flight are two examples of hull losses as a result of this interaction.

This will undoubtably be a problem for self driving cars too.