Like Tree15Likes

Honda has got its innovative design, MOJO back !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    I love the cabin design of the Honda E, the car width multi function displays look great, as I never liked Teslas center dash mounted tablet display, which I think has dated very badly, great cars in other ways just the cabin layout just didnt do it for me. SO its great that a mainstream car maker like Honda is going to have a bloody good crack at its foray into the EV car market.
    What is the purpose of the gearbox tunnel cover? Just a hangover from 'Luxury' feeling of Panhard gearbox layout that is used in ICE cars

It should look like this inside

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Obviously that is savable

They can't even resurface the roads to get rid of potholes so I am not sure who is going to do this. To make this available for all cars is a massive investment that will require years.

Obviously that is savable

Can that be scaled to the millions that will be needed and lining every street where there is parking? Not just the installation but the electrical supply as well? It's likely going to need some form of new higher voltage distribution as a street-full of these at 240/415V is going to need 100s or 1000s of amps of additional supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    The production close Honda E, I think Honda have absolutely nailed it ! What a beautifully simple non fussy design , that looks so fresh and clean, functional and exactly what I like
    I've flushed less unattractive shapes than that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I've flushed less unattractive shapes than that.
    Yes, it's not as attractive as your Mazda 8 minivan
    civil_servant likes this.

What is the purpose of the gearbox tunnel cover? Just a hangover from 'Luxury' feeling of Panhard gearbox layout that is used in ICE cars

It should look like this inside
    Had you watched the video, you would have got your answer !

The head of the Honda E program, and the chief interior / exterior stylists were asked questions by Johnny ( fifth gear & Fully Charged presenter) about why they opted for the center console, which I 100% agree with their most logical reasoning behind it. It was discussed fairly comprehensively.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    Can that be scaled to the millions that will be needed and lining every street where there is parking? Not just the installation but the electrical supply as well? It's likely going to need some form of new higher voltage distribution as a street-full of these at 240/415V is going to need 100s or 1000s of amps of additional supply.
    I suspect people will sign-up for a always 80% full type contract that will charge you to 100% but dip back in to take 20% to fill up someone locally who has just parked up with empty batteries. Some may argue that this extra charge discharge is a problem but skimming 20% off to distribute locally takes a lot of stress off the grid and allows guarantee charge.

I suspect people will sign-up for a always 80% full type contract that will charge you to 100% but dip back in to take 20% to fill up someone locally who has just parked up with empty batteries. Some may argue that this extra charge discharge is a problem but skimming 20% off to distribute locally takes a lot of stress off the grid and allows guarantee charge.
    That may reduce grid demand, but now you need charging points and cabling that can also provide reversed supply (charge and discharge), invert battery voltages back to mains and metering (be it in home or on street) that will credit you back for your car's energy supplied back to the grid with now 2 lots of conversion losses (so who will pay for the waste?) None of that overcomes the massive currents required to charge a street full of parked charging EVs.

Let's not forget of course the government revenue loss from fuel duty and VAT on top (yes, non-British people, duties on petrol then have sales tax added as well - taxes on taxes) which will need to be replaced. What are they going to do? Charge more registration or annual charges, charges per mile, taxes on charging electricity for cars?

The impact of the move to EVs en-masse is hugely misunderstood.

[edit]
    The obvious solution of course is this...

https://twitter.com/Copvids911/statu...54534401040384

Last edited by stickyears; 08-03-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    That may reduce grid demand, but now you need charging points and cabling that can also provide reversed supply (charge and discharge), invert battery voltages back to mains and metering (be it in home or on street) that will credit you back for your car's energy supplied back to the grid with now 2 lots of conversion losses (so who will pay for the waste?) None of that overcomes the massive currents required to charge a street full of parked charging EVs.

Let's not forget of course the government revenue loss from fuel duty and VAT on top (yes, non-British people, duties on petrol then have sales tax added as well - taxes on taxes) which will need to be replaced. What are they going to do? Charge more registration or annual charges, charges per mile, taxes on charging electricity for cars?

The impact of the move to EVs en-masse is hugely misunderstood.

[edit]
    The obvious solution of course is this...

https://twitter.com/Copvids911/statu...54534401040384

I suspect the next 25 years to change over.

As for tax - yes a rebalancing is needed at some point but at the moment vehicles that emit pollution outside urban areas should be encouraged.

I suspect the next 25 years to change over.
    You are already out of time then.

The UK is planning to ban new petrol and diesel vehicle sales from 2040. By 2050 all cars on the road must be zero emission. The EU the same. Denmark banning new from 2030. Norway from 2025.

95% of new cars sold worldwide go into just 10 countries (China, US, Japan, Canada, Norway, UK, France, Germany, Netherlands and Sweden by volume). The schedule is there, the solution doesn't yet exist to support the charging.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast