Like Tree34Likes

Smart speakers - Sonos, Amazon and Google

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Got my eyes on a pair of Amazon Echo Studio speakers. They can be paired with a Fire TV Cube (purchased over Black Friday) and should effectively work to replace the current sound bar + sub woofer. The added bonus being Dolby Atmos support for streaming.

The Fire TV cube is brilliant - adds IR capability which allows me to turn on the soundbar and TV with a "Alexa turn on the TV" voice command. Need to play around a little bit to get it to control the lights and a couple of other devices.

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — In 2013, Sonos scored a coup when Google agreed to design its music service to work easily with Sonos’s home speakers. For the project, Sonos handed over the effective blueprints to its speakers.

It felt like a harmless move, Sonos executives said. Google was an internet company and didn’t make speakers.

The executives now say they were naïve.

On Tuesday, Sonos sued Google in two federal court systems, seeking financial damages and a ban on the sale of Google’s speakers, smartphones and laptops in the United States. Sonos accused Google of infringing on five of its patents, including technology that lets wireless speakers connect and synchronize with one another.

Sonos’s complaints go beyond patents and Google. Its legal action is the culmination of years of growing dependence on both Google and Amazon, which then used their leverage to squeeze the smaller company, Sonos executives said.
    And Sonos to sue Google....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/t...es-google.html
    jgl likes this.

Would love to see the little guy score a win here.

I think sonos should off collaborate with ikea years ago, their current range is rather expensive, but with ikea collaboration, cheaper and more accessible to everyone, they should concentrate on this aspect than suing Google, if they are using why not also Sue Amazon with its alexa

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    This sounds like when Nintendo back stabbed sony during the co development of the snes CD /play station, Nintendo went to Philips instead and licenced Nintendo Ip to Philips awful cdi, Sony was pissed off with this and went back to drawing board and designed the PlayStation which we know as off today
    shri likes this.

Further updates on this.

JBL Link 20 broken, wouldn't charge. Sent for repair. They said that the USB port has blown and need to send it to China for fixing. With the virus, they said will probably have to wait at least one month, if not longer.

Sonos is working great, amazing sound. Google Assistant on Sonos was flaky at the best of times, which is annoying considering it worked pretty well on the JBL Link 20. Ended up shifting to Alexa on the Sonos, but as a result no You Tube Music (but that's still available via the Sonos app). Alexa on the Sonos is considerably better than Google Assistant.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Sonos is working great, amazing sound. Google Assistant on Sonos was flaky at the best of times, which is annoying considering it worked pretty well on the JBL Link 20. Ended up shifting to Alexa on the Sonos, but as a result no You Tube Music (but that's still available via the Sonos app). Alexa on the Sonos is considerably better than Google Assistant.
    Sonos stopped supporting their older products, your next update might make it a doorstop

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert
    Sonos stopped supporting their older products, your next update might make it a doorstop
    I think I'm good for at least another year or two with the Sonos One, somehow I don't think they will stop supporting that product in 2020.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4