Like Tree32Likes

Smart speakers - Sonos, Amazon and Google

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smart speakers - Sonos, Amazon and Google

Now that I've got my wifi sorted out, thinking of getting me some smart speakers dotted around the house.

I hear its basically between Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant these days.

Mainly for playing music (esp some lullabies would be great) and for listening to news, etc.

Thoughts?

Would have thought Sonos for music. The other two don't make any effort at sound quality.

CarterTG and pin like this.

Sonos is very good, especially with Spotify Connect.

pin likes this.

I agree, other two are busy listening to your talk and passing it to their Parent server. Think about proper music company speakers.

pin likes this.

Google I hear is better than Alexa at least if you ask it questions, you will get better answers LOL
    Alexa is DUMB

shri and pin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    Google I hear is better than Alexa at least if you ask it questions, you will get better answers LOL
    Alexa is DUMB
    When looking at for myself this I did out of interest visit the top 5 manufacturers of these portable wifi connected speakers and all suggested that Google was now out selling Amazon and Xiaomi is taking the none-open China market.

I think Google may have better software and Amazon a more open architecture. As for sound you get a lot more boom for your buck with the platform owners as I can't see how they are really making much money from the hardware alone.

I would suggest the technology is moving pretty fast so don't over invest.
    pin and shri like this.

many smart speakers have Alexa or google assistant built in. So you can have great sound & the advantages of voice control. Or you can get an Alexa input to plug into the speaker. Sonos have their own voice control, but not available here yet. I started out with Alexa, so I find it easiest to stick to that, it has a wider range of devices supported and Bose supports it

pin likes this.

We have both in the living room. Not sure why, but we do get slightly different weather forecasts / current outdoor temperatures from the two devices. Perhaps a setting related to location (not sure about this) or different data sources (more likely as Alexa is not as localised as Google is, in terms of accessing local data sources).

Google home works really well for us when it comes to estimating travel times, again probably due to access to Google maps and related data.

pin likes this.

Thanks all. I am no audiophile but do understand that Sonos are pretty much the gold standard of smart speakers. I have however heard that they are still not playing so nice with Alexa / Google, or that's not the case? I guess the other issue with Sonos is the price, but I presume you are paying for quality with them.

However it seems these days that most smart speakers will play nice with either Alexa or Google so technically you don't have to buy an Amazon or Google product?

kimwy66 likes this.

We have Google Home and from comparing with friends who have Amazon, Google is better for non-US locations. The main benefit of Alexa in the US (or other countries with local Amazon service) is the ordering and shopping which doesn't really work here so I say stick to Google.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast