Like Tree6Likes

My PC doesn't recognize my Samsung S6 any more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    Yes, my wife's Samsung Note 9 connects to my PC with no problem (but it uses another kind of cable).

Is it possible to revert to a previous update of my S6 see if this works better ?
    This implies that the issue is with the phone, not with your PC. It also shows that the cable has no problem.
    I'm not sure whether you can roll back the software on your phone. Or any other hack to get it working. You may want to try searching the internet for issues with this phone type in recent time (don't bother reading stuff which is a couple of years old).

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill65
    It also shows that the cable has no problem.
    My S6 is using a different cable (micro-USB) than my wife's Note 9 (Type-C 1.0 reversible connector).
    I don't think I can say the cable is not faulty since I can't test it with my wife's phone.

Do you have Samsung management software installed on your PC? If not, try that.. Cant remember the name Samsung kies or something.. Chances are Windows has updated the driver and somehow its not identifying devices through Micro-USB, any other device with Micro-USB in the house?

This one..

https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/kies/

Thanks Nivant, I have now tried both Samsung Kies and Smart Switch, but same problem. Phone not recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Have you tried another cable? You can often charge a phone with a damaged cable.
    I'll be damned.

My wife found lying around an additional 2 of these micro-USB cables... and one of them works.
    So basically out of the 8 cables I have, only 1 can carry data.

Thanks all for the help.

*edit: is there a way to tell a micro-USB cable can carry data ?
    hullexile likes this.

If thats the case, try one more thing.. Use knife/toothpick or something to gently clean Micro-USB port on your phone and also make sure the middle flat panel in the port is straight and no dirt inside, chances are 5-6 more cables might start working again..

shri likes this.

Corrosion/oxidisation on the contacts of the cable and the phone's connector often impairs proper contact.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    If thats the case, try one more thing.. Use knife/toothpick or something to gently clean Micro-USB port on your phone and also make sure the middle flat panel in the port is straight and no dirt inside, chances are 5-6 more cables might start working again..
    Ok good idea, you show me next time how to do this. I had tried to vaporize some compressed air but it didn't work.

Treat that one cable that works, like a new born baby. Preferably your first born.

jack55 likes this.

Or just buy a new micro USB cable, one that's data friendly. Or get a new phone. S6 vs note 9 is way to big a gap for spouses.

chuckster007 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2