Like Tree14Likes

Mi Smart Scale - inaccurate

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mi Smart Scale - inaccurate

I bought a Mi Smart Scale about a year ago and liked that it linked the data to an app to track progress. However I recently noticed that compared to other scales at my gym - traditional ones not digital - the Mi Smart Scale is very inaccurate. It's not even inaccurate in the same way, it's just completely inconsistent. Showing weight gain when an old fashioned scale shows weight loss.

Does anyone have one of these, if so have you experienced the same?

I don't have one, but would it be possible to put an unopened bag of rice or something similar, on it and check the reported weight?

Oh it's definitely off, both my spouse and I have compared it with other scales and found 3-5kg differences.

Just not sure if it's an issue with our particular scale, or if they're just not very good and the wifi/app features are better engineered than the scale's main function.

Would be a good idea to test it like Shri suggests with a known weight - but you need a sack of rice, not just a little 1kg bag.

Xiaomi is very good at these copycat products.
    I have a similar scale - that links via bluetooth to an app called "weight gurus".

I notice my weight can vary considerably depending on time of day - more than 1kg - which is expected I guess.Drink 1 liter of water and you are 1 kg heavier...

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    Would be a good idea to test it like Shri suggests with a known weight - but you need a sack of rice, not just a little 1kg bag.

Xiaomi is very good at these copycat products.
    I have a similar scale - that links via bluetooth to an app called "weight gurus".

I notice my weight can vary considerably depending on time of day - more than 1kg - which is expected I guess.Drink 1 liter of water and you are 1 kg heavier...
    I'll give it a shot when I'm at home with the rice but I'm pretty sure. Not normal to weigh 5kg more first thing in the morning before food or drink, compared to midday with clothing on...

I have a xiaomi scale - #1 tip is make sure the surface it's feet on is completely flat - that can mess it up.

Apart from that, it has been accurate when compared to other scales - but for some reason they all say I'm getting heavier.. might need to stop weighing myself

I have a withings scale - similar smart scale linked to app. Whatever I get on that scale is different from whatever other scale I use. Also, it depends what order you use it (if two people are using it). Sometimes i think it anchors to the previous weight... so if hubby uses it and then I use it, the scale weighs higher - like it thinks I can't lose that much in a few minutes!

They are not accurate. They are useful if only one person uses it, weigh same time each day, and look for trends only not absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    I have a withings scale - similar smart scale linked to app. Whatever I get on that scale is different from whatever other scale I use. Also, it depends what order you use it (if two people are using it). Sometimes i think it anchors to the previous weight... so if hubby uses it and then I use it, the scale weighs higher - like it thinks I can't lose that much in a few minutes!

They are not accurate. They are useful if only one person uses it, weigh same time each day, and look for trends only not absolutes.
    Hmm hadn't thought about the two people using it issue. That might be a factor.

Hmm hadn't thought about the two people using it issue. That might be a factor.
    i don't see why it should matter. That would be like a clock telling you whatever time it wants, because it knows you're going to be late anyways!

In terms of sensors on the scale - they should be zeroed out as soon as the scale is turned on and should not matter who stepped on it last.

This does sound like something the consumer council could do a study on.

(I'm with rob's suggestion on making sure the scale is anchored correctly)

This is very weird. I thought that scales, whether they be mechanical spring or digital, were an incredibly cheap and well established product and should not be subject to weird factors like who steps on it in what order. Post offices, labs, lots of places depend on them.

My cheapo bathroom scales seem to be highly consistent- I've played games with my kids on them where we take turns weighing each other repeatedly, and the results are always within one decimal place for the same person in each session. I've done stuff where I will stack up two known weights (me and a kid) and the total matches the sum of the two lesser weights down to sub-kilo accuracy. <-- when you have kids, you end up doing stupid shit like this a lot to keep them entertained.

If my scale started showing inconsistent readings within a very short period of time (i.e. weight changes not attributable to food/liquid/clothing changes) then I'd bin it and get another.

https://www.hunker.com/12183358/how-...tal-scale-work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast