Like Tree9Likes

Crowdsourcing evidence gathering of poor driving

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crowdsourcing evidence gathering of poor driving

The UK's Nextbase says its National Dash Cam Safety Portal has received 4,891 video uploads since its launch in July 2018.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/dash-...reator-claims/

Would this work in HK for parking, idling, dangerous driving?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    quite a few local fb groups just purely for dashcam videos of daily stupid/idiots dangerous driving / accidents etc, usually someone will send it to the Local PoPo, online police website.

Parking and Idling, not many care lol

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    quite a few local fb groups just purely for dashcam videos of daily stupid/idiots dangerous driving / accidents etc, usually someone will send it to the Local PoPo, online police website.

Parking and Idling, not many care lol
    This site is not for titillation but presenting evidence in a format the police like to save them work on evidence gathering for enforcement.

I used my dash cam footage to get someone busted for not stopping at a busy crosswalk via 1823*.

Got a letter a month later saying the driver had been successfully prosecuted.

*Had to go down to the Police station to give a formal statement and provide them with my cam footage on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by emx

*Had to go down to the Police station to give a formal statement and provide them with my cam footage on DVD.
    This is the issue - no matter what the submission process - electronic, telepathic... you have to go in and submit a formal statement.

I personally think that there need to be more camera enabled junctions / round abouts & pedestrian crossings similar to the automated speeding and traffic light cameras. They don't need to turn on the cameras... just put up a big f'ing sign and cameras. I suspect people will comply.
    emx and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    This is the issue - no matter what the submission process - electronic, telepathic... you have to go in and submit a formal statement.

I personally think that there need to be more camera enabled junctions / round abouts & pedestrian crossings similar to the automated speeding and traffic light cameras. They don't need to turn on the cameras... just put up a big f'ing sign and cameras. I suspect people will comply.
    If there was an easier way to submit a formal statement and video, then I would be doing this daily, but it was such a royal pain in the ass the first time around, one has to wonder is it worth the time.
    East_coast and HK_Katherine like this.

If there was an easier way to submit a formal statement and video, then I would be doing this daily
    That is the whole point. Anyway HKPF are busy with other things for the next 26 years.
    robertlempriere likes this.

...and provide them with my cam footage on DVD.
    So recently they move away from floppy disks? Cool!

Ok, reporting a moron is fun thing to do. But I wonder how many hours one need to spend at the police station. I don't get a share of the fine and the police has no free parking.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Parking and idling seems difficult. How you know the car is really parking and the driver ain't inside sleeping (you see that quite often), idling engines are invisible. That law is quite a farce.

And just to put one though in, if you support this, how can one be against the constant video surveillance in China?

I used my dash cam footage to get someone busted for not stopping at a busy crosswalk via 1823*.

Got a letter a month later saying the driver had been successfully prosecuted.

I've done this with mobile phone footage from my bus for drivers using the bus lane. I failed with illegal parking because apparently a photo is "not good enough" and the police have to go in person!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast