Like Tree8Likes

Good place to find wires, arduinos, servos etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Good place to find wires, arduinos, servos etc?

I'm going to be taking up a relatively big mechanical project and, until now I've just been buying parts online, but I'd prefer some flexibility by just going somewhere in Hong Kong. Any good places?

My go to place for random widgets has always been RS Online. They do have a warehouse location where you can pick up from but unfortunately not a retail outlet.

MandM! likes this.

I'd also like to shop for this stuff in person but really, online is best unfortunately. In my perfect world there'd be a big computer centre with all my electronic toys in it, but I don't think so.

RS Online is great though.

WECL in SSP has a 'maker' section in their store. It's geared towards 3D printing and Pis and small motors. Haven't seen Arduinos there. But also I haven't paid much attention to that area.

imparanoic likes this.

Thumbs up

Got a visa for Commie China?

Seg Plaza in Futian District of Shumchun ain't too far away, and there's a cluster of Electronic Shops in the district,Name:  SEG Plaza.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  567.0 KB

I haven't needed to go there for a loooong time 'cos it's not too easy to find enough English speakers when I need them, and I don't like to inflict my SWMBO with translation duties!

Being a Senior Citizen, I travel to Sheung Shui and exit the MTR and then - a few minutes later - I return and take any train to the "Bamboo Curtain" {thus saving $$$s} and then ride the [free for me] Shumchun MTR to my "Mecca" in Futian District.

It ain't too difficult to achieve for an "Away-Day" trip.

Last edited by GreenCatalonia; 19-08-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia
    Got a visa for Commie China?
    Got no visa for behind the wall? Learn how to use Taobao. Really, THAT is where you can find everything. I get nearly all my stuff there, incl. RaPi and whatever. This combined with a re-shipper in China like Topexpress is ideal.

I mean, SEG and about 20 buildings nearby are good too, but I had situations where I couldn't find things offline.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    WECL in SSP has a 'maker' section in their store. It's geared towards 3D printing and Pis and small motors. Haven't seen Arduinos there. But also I haven't paid much attention to that area.
    They have some Arduino stuff next to Pi boards and gear.

On one's left as you reach the top of the stairs.

There is a shop at 123 Kwei Lin Street, Sham Shui Po. Tel: 2630.5046.
    The above shop is around the corner from the above mentioned WECL. You'll see a number of electronic gadgets and tools in the window.

They have an assortment of Arduinos, Pis, wires, switches, leds, etc. for electronic projects. Some of the staff speaks English and are very helpful in trying to solve component sourcing issues for you. This is versus WECL which has a better assortment and stocking but the staff often doesn't help you solve or source a component.

I typically go to both this store and WECL to get my electronic components in HK. If I need obscure components or a lot of components I go to the place in Shenzhen stated above.

shri and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_g
    There is a shop at 123 Kwei Lin Street, Sham Shui Po. Tel: 2630.5046.
    The above shop is around the corner from the above mentioned WECL. You'll see a number of electronic gadgets and tools in the window.
    By "in the window" you mean this place is on the ground floor and quite obvious? I'll look for it next time I'm there, Street View just shows the usual wall of street vendors.

Yes, it is on the ground floor. I recall it's the second shop from the corner. Maybe the third. It's obvious as electrical tool and gadget store from the items in the window. Gadgets not being consumer items but items like multi meters, dvrs for security systems, alarms and various electrical tools.

When you look in from the street there are glass cabinets on the right side where the expensive tools are located. Inexpensive tools are on the left in a central aisle. Components, wire, heat shrink tubing, capacitors, etc., are in the back. Also, if you don't see what you want I learned to ask - they typically have it but don't have room to put it on display.

I only have the name in Chinese and I don't recall a name in English letters on the outside.

WECL looks like a tool store and security equipment from the outside ground floor. All of the components are upstairs.

jgl and shri like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast