Like Tree53Likes

Mesh Router or running ethernet cable

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Mesh Router or running ethernet cable

Between my living room which has the ISP cable access point, I'd like to run ethernet cable all the way to my study room (far end of the house)

(1) Do you know if i can DIY myself a cable raceway/cover - is there something available in ikea/japan-store? Who or where can i reach out to?

(2) I wonder if any wifi mesh system would help, i have three walls in between so i doubt i'd have full internet speed in my study room. Do you have any recommendation on any mesh wifi?

Thanks

We've used HomePlugs which use the electrical cables to link two distant rooms and also have a Linksys VELOP setup.

Quote Originally Posted by rohits79:
    Between my living room which has the ISP cable access point, I'd like to run ethernet cable all the way to my study room (far end of the house)

Thanks
    You should be able to do that and maybe tuck it in neatly. There are also flat cables available . On the Island side, you can check out 298 computer centre, there is a shop there that specializes in just cables

I highly recommend the TP-Link Deco Mesh system.

Had previously used extenders by other brands and found the entire experience very unsatisfactory with great service in the living room but very poor reception in other parts of the flat.

I found this set up at the Computer Centre in Wan Chai and it works a dream. Almost hardly any lag in different parts of the flat and if you need to, you can keep expanding the mesh network.

An added bonus if you need it is great parental controls and the ability to remotely monitor and control your network also.

Here's a link.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-.../dp/B06WVCB862

ArrynField likes this.

If you insist on running an ethernet cable through the house, then I know for sure on Ap Liu street in Sham Shui Po there are plenty of hardware stores selling these covers like below, double sided tape on the bottom to hold it against your skirting, available in a few different colours.

Although I would probably go the way @shri suggested and try a couple of homeplugs.

Name:  Trunking.jpg
Views: 3209
Size:  22.3 KB

Fenix2 likes this.

Thanks @shri @bdw I did try the IP over power cable but my power cables are very old, plus the power switch circuit is old as well so it doesn't work well. Example if we turn on dryer or vaccum, there is disruption.

So you are saying these covers can stick to the wall, and no drilling is required to install?

Mesh router. I get +200MBps speed throughout the house.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Mesh systems used to be quite expensive, however they are very affordable now.

Most system come with antivirus, malware which could be free for 1 month, 3 years, or lifetime.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, but mesh systems are far superior to the plugs. Mesh systems can be connected via wifi, but better with ethernet cables.

Medium to high end Asus Routers also support aiMesh if you want to consider two router set-up or their pod system. Most of these come with the lifetime malware/antivirus.

The TP Link Deco M5 is also good. 2 pod system less than $1100. 3 Pod less than $1600. Also comes with 3 year malware/antivirus.

The Orbi Netgear are nice, but more expensive. 1 year a subscription for antivirus/malware is USD69.99. Only 30 day free trial.

You can connect a smart speaker (google or Alexa) and control your home with IFTTT.

JBL Link 20 - 50% Off

https://www.fortress.com.hk/en/produ.../p/BP_11734114

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...s-mesh-routers

I agree with TaD_LaLa and second the Deco M5. It's a great affordable mesh system that works well with HK walls. I previously barely got any wifi signal in my bedroom and now, I have a mesh point there and best of all, you could run an ethernet cable out of the Deco M5 to your computer for increased stability. No need to run cables through your home anymore!

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Running Deco M5 on G/F & 2/F via wifi

Deco App

Last edited by ArrynField; 01-07-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast