Like Tree5Likes

Should we be concerned with AI?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Let's say an AI entity, sentient or not, becomes better than humans at calculating, predicting, logical reasoning, analyzing, strategizing, operating, producing, etc.

How is this not a threat to us?

Quote Originally Posted by francisbaud:
    Let's say an AI entity, sentient or not, becomes better than humans at calculating, predicting, logical reasoning, analyzing, strategizing, operating, producing, etc.

How is this not a threat to us?
    AI can't tell the difference between an iPod and apple with 'ipod' written on it at the moment

There may be a time to worry, but probably not in any of our lifetimes

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I wonder if AI can form a company, get funding and run campaigns to pass their agenda into politics and legislation.

Since everything can be done online and further the Supreme Court has held that a company is considered a person. I do think this could be controlled today by AI.
    That's one of the concerns of people in the AI/Robotics industry i.e., the AI becoming aware at some point that it is "different" from humans, and may stop taking instructions from their human operators. Neurolink is one of the ways people think we would be able to control/manage AI i.e., actively engaging with them so they don't get an edge over humans.

A "company" is considered as a "person" in almost all countries for legal, tax, and other compliance purposes. This has been going on for almost 60 years now, so it's not an outcome of AI per se. A company still needs a "natural human" as a director/board member etc. who needs to sign off on company documents and declarations etc., so AI setting up a company using "virtual humans" is still far-fetched.