Like Tree1Likes

WhatsApp & Facebook

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WhatsApp & Facebook

Thank you SuckerBerg for updating terms

https://www.pcmag.com/news/whatsapp-to-require-users-to-share-data-with-facebook-via-new-privacy-policy

Just curious what people think is the best messenger alternative in Hong Kong? Line? Telegram?

I like contacting local businesses through Whatsapp, as it's quite convenient and easier than trying to call on the phone. But local businesses usually limit contacting to local phone, Whatsapp, FB -- they need to diversify the data sharing! I'm a bit disturbed by seeing some of the targeted advertisements between FB and Whatsapp...

i am watching my contacts join Telegram on droves...

My signal contact list has massively increased in the last day or two (when syncing works since it's overloaded at the moment).

I don't have much faith that it will stick since Facebook products are designed to increase engagement (addictiveness) and Signal is deliberately not doing this.

Clarification from FB:

A lot of friends have asked me about WhatsApp update privacy terms over the past weekend, so I want to explain it seriously with you today.

First of all, it's so important: You can read and listen to the conversation with anyone (including individuals and business owners), and only you can read and listen to the conversation. All personal messages, in-group. communications, voice and video conversations are end-to-end encrypted.

This WhatsApp Privacy Terms update is actually about WhatsApp for Business. In the future, whatsApp will be able to use business communications for businesses to choose Facebook hosting service, when WhatsApp will remind people to decide whether to continue to communicate with them on WhatsApp, and we will update our privacy terms this time. Left early stabbing users know that this arrangement is available.

Secondly, I would like to clarify that WhatsApp will share the contact list of people on the phone to anyone or organisations, including Facebook, and WhatsApp services are absolutely free, and if someone charges you, you will definitely be bogus.

This time I have updated the Privacy Clause, I have intended to improve the transparency of privacy protection. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of communication, and once there is a need for more in-depth description of the place, it should be expressed in a clearer way. Hope to do better in the future!
    https://www.facebook.com/jayne.leung...57634649151237

I prefer Telegram, it's much better, better looking and they add new functionalities regularly.

Foolish decision by Facebook. They should have just put some ads in whatsapp's status updates or something. Not do this shit that only drives people away people from Whatsapp altogether. Plus it goes against what they promised earlier that they would not share data between facebook, instagram and whatsapp.

I've seen most of my contacts moving to Telegram.
    Feature-wise, Telegram is better than Whatsapp, it's just chock-full of features you slowly discover (polls in group chats! video animated profiles! Super simple sync across any number of devices!). Security-wise, Whatsapp was better, as all conversations were p2p encrypted, even for groups AFAIK, which is not a small feat. Telegram only encrypts with p2p when directly asked (you have to tick an option for each chat, and it's not available for groups). Of course it encrypts by default, but with a public key they keep. In theory, they could access your stuff.

Obviously this has been slowly eroded by Facebook since the whatsapp purchase, making it leak all kinds of metadata, so for example any link you sent in a conversation would be sent back to FB. Not the link-per-se, as in the chat, since that's encrypted p2p. But the link preview, that is calculated on facebook servers, hence they get what you sent...That's just an small example.

Signal uses the same encryption protocol as whatsapp, but in Signal it's fully aimed at privacy/security. Everything is p2p encrypted. All the time. No questions asked. Groups, calls, videos...everything. But its features are...a bit lackluster. Text, images, emojis, stickers calls and video. It has all the basics...but it's...a bit more rudimentary around the edges. But it's by far the safest.

emx likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast