Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ArrynField
  • 1 Post By Plutark

Where to test earpods before purchasing?

Closed Thread

Where to test earpods before purchasing?

I need to get a pair of Blutooth earpods. I would like to test a few such as Jabra Elite 85T, Liberty Air 2 Pro, Sony, Bose, etc. Where can I test and experience them before I choose?

Thanks

If you go to any electronics store in Wanchai/SSP/MongKok Computer centers, they will likely allow you to test before you buy. The expectation (for you to buy) would be higher as they're allowing you to test/compare the earpods. Just note that the calls with Bose earpods only use ONE side (right) for audio (both incoming and mic), which is super outdated compared to what others are offering.

There are a couple of very good earphone shops at Wan Chai Computer Center. I believe they are both upstairs.

bit of feedback:

i had the old bose ones, then bought a jabra 75, then bought the newest bose and just bought a jabra 85 today

the old bose ones are still the best in my mind, unfortunately i lost one piece and hence had to buy a new one

jabra 75 was very alright, good fit, good sound, works, functions are good, i gave it to my wife when the new bose came out

the new bose is super good sound quality and fit, easily the best in that space - BUT it has one major major flaw: once it times out due to non-usage, the only way to wake them up is by putting them into the bose box and taking them out. there is no way to wake them up on their own - major design flaw if you ask me, especially if you commute between two locations such as home and office

so i just bought another jabra 85, not as good fit and sound quality but still pretty good. seemingly better than the 75, we will see

It’s pretty unhygienic inserting an “In Ear Canal” type earphone in your ear. I would stay away from the display test models, unless you can insert new earbud tips.

Although most In Ear Canal offer better sound, bass etc I prefer the open AirPod 2 type clones, such as Sudio Nio, less than $500. Better battery life than my old AirPods.

In Ear Canal earphones are also more likely to cause ear infections.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/17/wearin...ssionals-warn/

hike likes this.

I can not use earpods. I bought some for 400hkd, did not expect much and one of the earpod would not charge 90% of the time. Also my ear canals are bigger than average, so when I went for a walk outside in the heat one of them fell off with the sweat and almost ended up in the sewage. I'm going back to wired ones!

hike likes this.

My ex used to try those at HMV in Causeway Bay, and they would clean it before you try. But not sure if the shop is still there or not.

Thank you for your suggestions. Just to update everyone:

I went to Wanchai Comp Center. There is only one shop (upstairs) that has some earphones/earpods for demo, but not all the models. I tested Sony XM4, Jabra Elite Active 75T, Jabra 85T and Bose, and finally bought the 75T.

Not all the models you see in Amazon are available for testing. For example, I was interested in Liberty Air 2 Pro, which some people were selling, but no pieces available for testing.

Personally, I found Sony XM4 to be heavy and I had to order and wait. I found 85T heavy as well. Sony and Bose were above my budget, anyway.

Jabra's are very good, and great value. I use a couple of the 75 series - one for zoom calls at home, another slightly cooler looking pair for music whilst I walk. I always thought the first gen airpods looked odd, a bit like dangly earrings from the 80s. Plus I've never actually had an iphone.