Like Tree27Likes

Broken GPU - where can i go to get it fixed?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    thats the problem. The rig I am eyeing is with a 3070....

Theres no real way to verify if the Card used is really "new". Receipts/serial wont really indicate much.
    If you're getting a new rig built, then ask how much cheaper a 3070 LHR would be instead of a 3070. It should get a discount,

So you'll get same performance card and cheaper. The disadvantage is that the card won't be able to mine. But that's why the card could not have been 2nd hand from a miner either.

When you receive the rig then check the Device Manager and make sure it is an LHR card listed.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    If you're getting a new rig built, then ask how much cheaper a 3070 LHR would be instead of a 3070. It should get a discount,

So you'll get same performance card and cheaper. The disadvantage is that the card won't be able to mine. But that's why the card could not have been 2nd hand from a miner either.

When you receive the rig then check the Device Manager and make sure it is an LHR card listed.
    I don't follow this stuff, but have read articles saying that the hashing limitations for at least some cards can be bypassed pretty easily. So wouldn't rely on a secondhand 'limited' card being reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I don't follow this stuff, but have read articles saying that the hashing limitations for at least some cards can be bypassed pretty easily. So wouldn't rely on a secondhand 'limited' card being reliable.
    The hash rate limitations haven't been bypassed yet. Well actually only partially, and for the 3070LHR that's only been since since last week. 3070LHR was only released in May.

Though my reply wasn't about buying a second hand 3070LHR card. It was becuase D.Yu was worried if he bought a new GPU then he wasn't sure he'd be pawned off a 2nd hand card.

I guess technically it is possible then for a GPU farm in China to buy 3070LHRs, run them on partial bypass drivers for one week in August and then try to pawn them off second hand in Hong Kong. Practically though...

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Though my reply wasn't about buying a second hand 3070LHR card. It was becuase D.Yu was worried if he bought a new GPU then he wasn't sure he'd be pawned off a 2nd hand card.
    Ah, I see.

Still, would think that just checking the S/N on the card straight out of the box would be fine.

And that it's not really something to worry about for the high volume build places in SSP anyway.

^ Exactly.

Those little shops that build PC's. Its hard to confirm if the GPU's they include in the rig is truly unused. Theres tons of second hand cards floating in the market that was abused 247 for mining.

^ Exactly.

Those little shops that build PC's. Its hard to confirm if the GPU's they include in the rig is truly unused. Theres tons of second hand cards floating in the market that was abused 247 for mining.
    What am I missing? How hard is a serial number?

Even with SN#, production date you can't tell if it was heavily used for mining or not, it could also be a Brand New Old stock card. As with Linus test there was very little difference from a New card & heavily mined GPU.

My GTX1050 has been running for 24/7(5yrs) & still looks new
    BTW @TS Most PC parts are "almost" non-repairable unless your a total hardware nerd.

https://techterms.com/category/hardware

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What am I missing? How hard is a serial number?
    A serial number does not tell you anything... It is just for reference with the purchase proof. But you cannot verify if the card was actually used by someone prior to your purchase. Ie. the vendor used the card for mining and then offloaded/sold after X months.

A serial number does not tell you anything... It is just for reference with the purchase proof. But you cannot verify if the card was actually used by someone prior to your purchase. Ie. the vendor used the card for mining and then offloaded/sold after X months.
    You ask to see the sealed box, have it opened in front of you, check the SN of the card before and after installation.

Sure, I guess it's possible that someone would go to the lengths of keeping used boxes, repackaging used cards into them, and shrink wrapping them as new, but this does push well past the bounds of reasonable credulity for a retail operation.

And if this level of paranoia seems reasonable, then the next incremental step is to assume that this could happen further up the supply chain for any of the bigger online vendors as well.

If you're buying direct or from an authorised distributor, you don't have anything to worry about getting dodgy Gfx cards. For example Asus have a 3 year warranty on Gfx cards. You can click on the link below to see their own shop and authorised sellers

https://www.asus.com/hk-en/ASUS_Webs...To-Buy-Laptop/

Shops such as Hornington are distributors for various brands:-

https://shop.hornington.com/categories/vga

or Centralfield

https://www.centralfield.com/en/pric...rice-list-vga/