Like Tree24Likes

Airtags in suitcases

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Airtags in suitcases

Hello - trying to have a non covid-related chat re Airtags in suitcases so I can focus on my summer break away from HK for a few weeks (hopefully air travel will still be a thing then).

I'm wondering if anyone has put an Apple Airtag inside their suitcase, rather than hanging off a loop outside the suitcase? And if it still works?

My suitcase is nothing fancy, so no aluminium Rimowa, so I assume it'll be fine.

I'm actually not too concerned re my suitcase on flights, but there are some potential train journeys in Europe and i'm always paranoid about leaving my suitcase on the luggage rack at the end of the carriage for a train journey (unless its in Japan).

Anyways - focusing on planning my summer trip is helping to keep me sane! Just the price of accommodation during summer over in Europe is blowing my mind!

Not sure if this is a #firstworldproblem.... but I have to ask, how did we travel a few years ago without these devices!?

The "how did we travel" question extends to a variety of things that have I have done myself over the last few weeks... wondering - "Why in gods name am I doing this.. Neither I or the collective human race has never done it before..". This includes things like wear face visors on a flight (refused to and got yelled at by some aunty), walking in and out of shops and refusing to have my hands sprayed with dodgy alcohol solutions... list goes on and on.

I have no clue how airtags work. I'd imagine if your luggage is lost... it is lost, they're not active GPS location transmitting devices.

It really is a #firstworldproblem. But it helps me think about holiday planning which is something to look forward to!

Unfortunately the planning around the return (lots of printing) and the contingencies for 'what if i catch covid during my holiday' are a whole other kettle of fish!

I have become so paranoid to just be around people in the past few years...but I have found myself struggling without having been to world class art galleries, museums etc over the past few years. I was never this guy but I really just need a day at the Musee D'orsay or something to help me mentally. It's weird what happens when you reach middle age....

blandy62, shri and z754103 like this.

Unfortunately the planning around the return (lots of printing) and the contingencies for 'what if i catch covid during my holiday' are a whole other kettle of fish!

Was telling the Mrs that I have never had to fill up so many forms and carry printed copies of so many documents in my life. And I am Indian.. We need triplicate copies of duplicate copies to buy a frozen chapati.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I have no clue how airtags work. I'd imagine if your luggage is lost... it is lost, they're not active GPS location transmitting devices.
    I think they ping off nearby iPhones, which are ubiquitous enough that the system seems to be pretty usable.
    muzzdang and shri like this.

For what it's worth.. People are moving back to normal lives very quickly. 6pm last night in Singapore..

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

yeah - my colleagues who transferred back to Europe recently said it really takes no time to settle back in. They also said without the 'threat' of quarantine, and with triple jabs, catching covid is not really a big deal. Takes a lot of the psychological pressure away. Pressure which they were not really aware they were experiencing.

shri and Fenix2 like this.

I'm so jealous you're at least away for a bit...hopefully the hawker centers are open for face-stuffing!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    For what it's worth.. People are moving back to normal lives very quickly. 6pm last night in Singapore..

The hawker centres have always been open

Just that you previously needed to scan your tracetogether app to get in

shri and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    yeah - my colleagues who transferred back to Europe recently said it really takes no time to settle back in. They also said without the 'threat' of quarantine, and with triple jabs, catching covid is not really a big deal. Takes a lot of the psychological pressure away. Pressure which they were not really aware they were experiencing.
    Fuck China
    Greghouse likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast