Like Tree7Likes

NVIDIA RTX 3050 VS AMD Radeon Graphics? Fortress/Broadway Staff - Better Listening To Them?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

You're 100% correct that M3401QC benefits on RTX3050 and 1TB SSD storage.
    I didn't know that both laptops have integrated AMD Radeon Graphics. This is very interesting and strange to me.

I've been thinking whether the M3401QC is worth the investment, since my daily use of a new laptop would be mainly office work, browsing, watching movies, and a little bit of Adobe Premiere and Adobe Photoshop. I'm curious whether M3401QA only integrated AMD Radeon Graphic can keep up for the next 4-5 years with all updated softwares such as Adobe Premiere and Adobe Photoshop. In addition, there might be some online gaming that I play from time to time.

yes, I already checked on this website. It is cheap. Well, M3401QA can be $1,000-2,000 HKD cheaper.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Both laptops have the integrated AMD Radeon Graphics as it comes with the R7 5800H.

The M3401QC benefits from an independent GPU: RTX3050 and 1TB SSD storage. It’s only $8150 at www.price.com.hk

Attachment 87812

Would I be correct in assuming that you should be able to switch between the integrated graphics and the GPU from the Device Manager depending on which you wanted to use?

Attachment 87810

You are both overthinking this, and underthinking this at the same time.

Overthinking in that you're worried about detailed specs- laptop AMD vs Intel, largely doesn't matter. Anything new will likely be more than enough.

But underthinking in that you are ignoring how your programs make use of discrete GPUs. Adobe is very, very detailed on what operations benefit from discrete GPUs. You should look up those functions and see if you even make use of them.

Just google the program name and 'discrete gpu' and the first page will include a link to Adobe with a list of affected functions. If you don't use those functions, or use them only rarely, you can totally ignore the discrete graphics card choice.

Also, anyone you're talking to about this stuff in... Fortress or Broadway or whatever, is not likely to have looked into this either. They're going on vage gut feel, because the information is extremely domain specific.

I believe… you are right. I’m more a detailed minded person. I think too much of the specs instead of looking at the adobe software’s
    requirements.

This is a wake up call to change my mind in a different way in order to make more a wise decision.

However, I want to purchase a laptop that can last for a few years.

As we all know, buying a laptop or smartphones, those devices need to keep up with updated softwares/apps.

definitely, i will take your advice in consideration!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    You are both overthinking this, and underthinking this at the same time.

Overthinking in that you're worried about detailed specs- laptop AMD vs Intel, largely doesn't matter. Anything new will likely be more than enough.

But underthinking in that you are ignoring how your programs make use of discrete GPUs. Adobe is very, very detailed on what operations benefit from discrete GPUs. You should look up those functions and see if you even make use of them.

Just google the program name and 'discrete gpu' and the first page will include a link to Adobe with a list of affected functions. If you don't use those functions, or use them only rarely, you can totally ignore the discrete graphics card choice.

Also, anyone you're talking to about this stuff in... Fortress or Broadway or whatever, is not likely to have looked into this either. They're going on vage gut feel, because the information is extremely domain specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Chekki:
    However, I want to purchase a laptop that can last for a few years.

As we all know, buying a laptop or smartphones, those devices need to keep up with updated softwares/apps.
    Laptops are not like smartphones.

Smartphones rely on the manufacturer (and in some countries, the telco) to release OS updates.

With a laptop, you're almost entirely reliant on the OS provider (i.e. Microsoft) for patching or driver updates. Adobe for software updates. It's rare that you need to rely on the laptop manufacturer for anything critical. Sure, some stuff might pop up, but it's rare and nowhere near as important as the OS side of things.

For laptop longevity, you're looking more a build quality and long term hardware warranty support. The latter is only usually differentiated by business-oriented machines or extended warranties like AppleCare.

Just to add a quick datapoint: I'm currently waiting for a new Thinkpad to be delivered - it's coming from Shanghai via Korea, because One Country!

Ryzen 6850 - with integrated graphics, but AMD's newest integrated stuff is considered comparable to Nvidia's lower-end dedicated stuff. 32GB DDR5 RAM (soldered, not upgradable), 1TB SSD (upgradable), upgraded screen (brighter and better colours), bigger battery. $9000 direct from Lenovo, with various Black Friday, professional account holder, and "because I asked nicely" discounts.

I obviously will be removing the Windows that comes with it, immediately on arrival, and I'd have been very happy not to pay for a license in the first place, but that's only an option in certain circumstances depending on manufacturer and model. I expect it to last me a good few years...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Just to add a quick datapoint: I'm currently waiting for a new Thinkpad to be delivered - it's coming from Shanghai via Korea, because One Country!

Ryzen 6850 - with integrated graphics, but AMD's newest integrated stuff is considered comparable to Nvidia's lower-end dedicated stuff. 32GB DDR5 RAM (soldered, not upgradable), 1TB SSD (upgradable), upgraded screen (brighter and better colours), bigger battery. $9000 direct from Lenovo, with various Black Friday, professional account holder, and "because I asked nicely" discounts.

I obviously will be removing the Windows that comes with it, immediately on arrival, and I'd have been very happy not to pay for a license in the first place, but that's only an option in certain circumstances depending on manufacturer and model. I expect it to last me a good few years...
    It's a bit sad to see what's happened to the ThinkPad brand over the years- soldered RAM, internal-only batteries, meh chicklet keyboards from China which are a far cry from the old Thai-produced boards. Inevitable though, when Apple so successfully sold the idea that 'thinner is better'.

I left a load of used 2000-era thinkpads in a third world country, and heard that they were still in use a decade later.

Still, I prefer the new ThinkPads over most others. Their warranty process is very good.

Basically, I can ask directly to ASUS as well. It may be work for me as well.

I was thinking to get Lenovo as well. Let’s see…

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:

I switched to HP EliteBook - better keyboard, swappable RAM, privacy screen and a joystick as well

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    I switched to HP EliteBook - better keyboard, swappable RAM, privacy screen and a joystick as well
    How does this privacy screen thing work, is it like the 3M screen shields that you can add later, or is it something else?

I had a quick look at the HP site, didn't see anything though.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    How does this privacy screen thing work, is it like the 3M screen shields that you can add later, or is it something else?

I had a quick look at the HP site, didn't see anything though.
    No, it has some additional functional layer inside. Which can be switched ON/OFF by pressing a button.

Name:  img_227959_1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  38.2 KB

https://youtu.be/130bPdQvH3w

It works great for it's purpose, but I don't recommend selecting such display for those who do any kind of graphic designing or gaming. Honestly, the viewing angles are worse than normal panel even when it's in the "OFF" mode.
    jgl and shri like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3