Like Tree7Likes

NVIDIA RTX 3050 VS AMD Radeon Graphics? Fortress/Broadway Staff - Better Listening To Them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NVIDIA RTX 3050 VS AMD Radeon Graphics? Fortress/Broadway Staff - Better Listening To Them?

Hi everyone,

I have been planning to purchase an ASUS VIVOBOOK laptop. However, I found out that the ASUS laptop that I want to buy has 2 different models in which is NVIDIA RTX 3050 graphic card and AMD Radeon Graphic (I believe it's the RX 6000M series).

I'm a typical person who likes to do my own research before I purchase any electronic devices and listen to promoters/staff at any electronic shops (especially FORTRESS and BROADWAY). The performance between the two graphics , RTX3050 is a better choice. However, AMD Radeon Graphic might be better in cooling, low fan noise, and AMD has beaten NVIDIA in the past years. Also, if we compare with prices. AMD is way cheaper than NVIDIA.

The staff at FORTRESS and BROADWAY are saying that AMD RADEON and AMD RYZEN don't have a higher performance than intel and NVIDIA. Does my research went in the wrong direction? I feel like most staff just doesn't want to help. It's all about selling products.

Since I'm not a gamer and editing videos heavily, is AMD Radeon Graphic the right choice for a long term perspective 3-4 years?

Here are the specs of the 2 Asus laptops.

Name:  QC.png
Views: 271
Size:  142.5 KB

Name:  QA.png
Views: 268
Size:  126.4 KB

Last edited by Chekki; 21-11-2022 at 08:11 AM.

I don't know anything about this particular Nvidia vs AMD comparison, but this particular Nvidia card is very low spec. It is outperformed by last gen cards eg RTX 2070Ti - I know this because I was also doing a bit of research when considering getting a replacement laptop.

Chekki likes this.

I can only give you a biased opinion as I have only used Intel and Nvidia and don't think I will ever change. Those two have never let me down.

Thank you for dropping your opinion. It’s a very difficult decision making for me to buy a new laptop. There are so many models of graphic cards and processor that I can’t really catch up with.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    I don't know anything about this particular Nvidia vs AMD comparison, but this particular Nvidia card is very low spec. It is outperformed by last gen cards eg RTX 2070Ti - I know this because I was also doing a bit of research when considering getting a replacement laptop.

Thanks for your biased opinion. It’s good to listen from someone like you that you gained good experiences with intel and nvidia.

I believe, we all experienced using intel and nvidia since they were the most leading companies for creating portable computers (please correct me if I’m wrong😂).

Let’s see whether someone knows about AMD. I’m very curious whether it’s worth the investment to have AMD graphic cards and processor in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    I can only give you a biased opinion as I have only used Intel and Nvidia and don't think I will ever change. Those two have never let me down.
    Crankshaft likes this.

What do you plan to use your laptop for? If it is for casual / home & office use - I am not too sure if either of the choice make any significant difference.

Have you considered Lenovo? Or is there a specific reason you're going with ASUS?

Have always considered ASUS a second tier brand and swear by Lenovo for reliability and after sales service for Windows laptops.

I have two AMD-based laptops and also AMD-based desktop. I couldn't be happier. Ryzen is a whole different story for AMD, absolutely incomparable to poor Bulldozers. And their GPUs are rocking as well. Anyway, discrete GPU is discrete GPU, but I manage to play Forza 4 on integrated AMD graphics, its margin getting narrower with low-end discrete GPUs. I would just recommend paying attention to RAM - it should have dual-channel (like 8+8 in DUAL channel, same RAM sticks preferably), not just 16Gb stuck in a single channel.

Because bandwidth is everything for integrated GPU. I updated my laptop with 2 sticks of faster RAM in dual channel and it's rocking.

vmlinuz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chekki:
    The staff at FORTRESS and BROADWAY are saying that AMD RADEON and AMD RYZEN don't have a higher performance than intel and NVIDIA. Does my research went in the wrong direction? I feel like most staff just doesn't want to help. It's all about selling products.
    Thats bullshit. From my own experience Ryzens have better power/consumption ratio. I also have 11th gen Intel laptop - not impressed at all. Especially compared to my other 5700U and 5800H laptops.

Ryzen brought AMD back into competition with Intel after two decades. Currently, the only way Intel desktop CPUs can compete are by throwing incredibly amounts of electricity into them and turning the motherboard into a mini furnace (slight exaggeration here).

I haven't bothered following the mobile CPU developments.

For the OP, I suspect it's really going to depend on how well his video editing software can use multiple cores and whether it leverages GPU (again, not something I have bothered to check myself).

I've been considering a new PC build, but my 5 year old Ryzen system doesn't get taxed doing anything. I've maxed the CPU maybe a handful of times over the course of ownership.

So upon checking pictures, first laptop (one with RTX 3050) has dedicated GPU and other does not - it just utilizes integrated GPU (AMD Radeon Vega 8 CU variant) - which in most cases can not compete with dedicated GPU - but then usage of system can be deciding factor E.g. gaming would show difference, productivity might not. Integrated GPU will share it's memory from RAM. The processor (5800H) is quite strong at 8C/16T with Zen3 architecture on AMD side and can easily be compared to likes of i7-11800H, i7-12700H on Intel side. What software are you going to use for video editing ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast