Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mengfei
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 1 Post By shri

IR Remote problems

Closed Thread

IR Remote problems

A few years ago, for reasons that are beyound me, my wife bought, in a sale TWO, NEW, SEALED BOX, Carrier TC-08AH Bathroom exhaust and heater Fan units. One she sold to a friend recently and it was seen thet the IR control did not appear to function.

Opening the remaining item the unit "boots up" ok all lights active etc. BUT the remote also will not work.
    I have put a multi meter on the Merciry Battery and get 3.2v so that seems not to be the problem.

Carrier will not / cannot test the remote and want 300 bucks to just hand on=ber a new one. Seems excessive and really would like to see if the one I have is broke before having to shell out.

Also, If I could understand the frequencies it ran on, maybe source a replacement all in one remote.

1) Anyone got this machine I could test it against>
    2) A way of testing it to see if the IR is defective in the remote or on the machine?
    3) Any other useful tips.

FYI. The machine appears to not have a manual operetaion option, certainly when I try to press the control light area on the machine, nothing happens. The power light on the machine is a glowing red light.

test IR remote
    point the IR to the camera of your phone & check if you see any blinking lights, try this with a known working IR remote like the one for AV equip.

OR you could do the same as I did, 1 IR phone to rule them all
    I have an old Xiaomi that has an IR blaster that can control our aircon/ Fan/ TV/ setup box

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    test IR remote
    point the IR to the camera of your phone & check if you see any blinking lights, try this with a known working IR remote like the one for AV equip.

OR you could do the same as I did, 1 IR phone to rule them all
    I have an old Xiaomi that has an IR blaster that can control our aircon/ Fan/ TV/ setup box
    This is very cool.. shit you learn everyday. A photo of a working remote with the button pressed.

Name:  Screenshot_2023-03-29-11-33-51-772_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  413.0 KB
    chuckster007 likes this.

If the IR handpiece has power but no light then look for battery contact corrosion. Also, check all buttons. What type battery is it? Mercury Battery? They produce 1.35v (per cell), so 3.2v seems not to match. Try fresh batteries. 1.5v should be fine.

On Apliu St. there are a few 2nd hand remote traders. Your device sounds rare though.

or get a universal remote

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    or get a universal remote
    You still need a working one to teach the universal remote.
    aquaman likes this.

Or head to Ap Liu street in Sham Shui Po, a vast variety of remotes all shapes and sizes in the middle stalls closer to Dragon Centre end of Ap Liu.

Thanks to all for comments