Like Tree27Likes

Long Term External Hard Disk Storage in 2024 | Most Best Brands?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I have been backing up on a couple of ext. HDD in the past. While I was looking for to get another ext. hdd in the market, I was overwhelmed with new brands and products for backing up files securely.

By the way, I use windows for my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    If you want to keep it simple, just buy a couple more drives and remember to back up regularly.

This is what I have been thinking. It's probably the same with iClouds or any other server who want to upload their personal data to the "clouds"

It's too low for me. I need t at least 1TB.

On the other hand, this is a smart move though! Thanks!

Thanks for sharing! I'll take this into consideration.

I follow the 3-2-1 data protection strategy, It recommends having three copies of your data, stored on two different types of media, with one copy kept off-site.
    Realtime mirror/replication of your main data/machine, then (for example) cloud and external HDD.

I don't mirror the data my main machine (but I should), I backup to cloud every week (automated) and monthly to external HDD. Not the best but works for me.

Didn't go with a NAS as I don't need something on 24/7

Rob2020 and Chekki like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    if the external hard drives are physially/electrically detached, they could last decades, right?
    It's a good question and one I don't think we have a definitive answer on.
    However, I would suggest powering on these drives once every 6-12 months.
    My main suspicion for failure would be drying up inside, i.e. the motor might get stuck...

Given the fact drive prices continue to come down, I think it is a good idea to regularly add 'new' drives to your offline set, to keep it fresh.
    Chekki and nivek2046 like this.

In my opinion, if you want to store something really important, better get a pack of ten 128Gb BDXL Blu Rays and a writer.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Print...dp/B0CDKJDLFF/

There is absolutely no guarantee neither for HDD, not for SSD, and even less for a cloud services.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4