can anyone recommend a free (or cheap) partion making piece of software?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ultimate boot CD
    Its got plenty of very useful tools and i have been using it for years.
    Its also open source but all apps included have been tester thoroughly and has a proven record.
    I would say its your best bet.
    /Johan

jbl has basically given the best option. The base software used in his recommendation is GNU Parted. You can see the features GNU Parted - Features

The software is packaged with different user interfaces, QT being one. The other one is what I would recommend (GParted) and is available to download here GParted -- Download

If you are on Linux you can directly run it, if not you need a live cd (burn image to a CD/usb and boot from it).

You need to consider that untried software stands a 50% chance of corrupting your data. I have had this happen to me more than once (I know once bitten twice shy but I'm a stubborn git). Backup your data then try one of the suggested free solutions or go with Windows' built-in disk management utility. The backup you take will be useful as it sounds like you have not taken one so far.

This really was a "catch -22 " situation. I wanted to backup my data, but in order to run a backup I needed to partition the backup disc so I could format it to NTFS, so I needed partition software and before you use partition software you are supposed to backup your data!

I gave up.

Rather than spend USD68 on partition magic or risk something untried but free, I wandered off to Tuen Mun Town Plaza and purchased a completely new disc (160GB) for approx USD54 ... which seems to solve my problem at a lower cost and greater utility!

So now I'm waiting for THAT to format (why don't they already come as NTFS???) so I can do my backup and then I might try some of the solutions posted above for the next time I get this problem!

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    You need to consider that untried software stands a 50% chance of corrupting your data.
    What's "untried software"?

Partition Magic can fuck up just like gparted, there are no guarantees.

jgl

Formatting? I thought the Windows "quick format" option worked with new disks?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    What's "untried software"?

Partition Magic can fuck up just like gparted, there are no guarantees.
    Exactly my point. Unless you have already installed it and used it then it is untried.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Formatting? I thought the Windows "quick format" option worked with new disks?
    Well I'm using windows format - I didn't click the "quick format" box because I didnt know what it meant and worry that something fast is not thorough!

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    Exactly my point. Unless you have already installed it and used it then it is untried.
    Even after you have installed it and used it, there is no guarantee. Every situation is unique. Granted the level of confidence is a magnitude higher but then there is no alternative to a back if data is critical.

Backup you must.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Well I'm using windows format - I didn't click the "quick format" box because I didnt know what it meant and worry that something fast is not thorough!
    I could be wrong, not having formatted disks for months... but I suspect that you can just go ahead with a quick format and it'll chug along happily. I only select the 'full' format option if I suspect there is a problem with the drive.
    Last edited by jgl; 23-12-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast