can anyone recommend a free (or cheap) partion making piece of software?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hmm - well it's nearly done now, just a few more little blue boxes to go....

Yeah the quick format is sufficient for new disks.
    Difference is a "full format" deletes everything on the drive making it like a factory new sort of.
    The quick format just randomizes the data and flags all files as data 0, thus leaving the files on the drive but they wont be accessible.

So on a quick format your basically just writing over the old data with new data.

And since there is no data on a new drive quickformat is the best choice.

hope that helps
    Johan

yes - very helpful explanation, I will remember for next time!

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE
    Yeah the quick format is sufficient for new disks.
    Difference is a "full format" deletes everything on the drive making it like a factory new sort of.
    The quick format just randomizes the data and flags all files as data 0, thus leaving the files on the drive but they wont be accessible.

So on a quick format your basically just writing over the old data with new data.

And since there is no data on a new drive quickformat is the best choice.

hope that helps
    Johan
    This reply though not wrong is not entirely accurate. Files removed using either of these methods are recoverable unless you using some "shredding" software. The true difference is explained below:

When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

Krypton: Yes and no

Full format restores the magnetic disks pattern and destroys the master file table.
    The files are as you say still there..in a matter of speaking.
    But not intact like in a quick format where the data is just flagged as 0 = no data.

And shredding as you say i assume you mean multiple rewrites of garbage data or 10100100101 etc.
    Then a low level format is much faster and equally secure unless you are working with top secret government files.

That is why I said your answer is correct. The accuracy part was referring to the bad sector checks. I wanted to emphasize that the primary difference is this check (which is what makes up the huge diff in time).

And I think we agree in principle on the difference so no point arguing on the wording (I have enough of that working with specifications and tech committees).

agree, it was getting slightly off topic anyways :P

Most interesting but I didn't really understand much of it! Suffice it to say I will try quick format next time I have a new disc....

on the subject of formatting....

After doing a quick format, is it possible to recover the files?

i have quick formatted my notebook and want to sell it for whatever, but worried someone can retrieve my files.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by sillycow
    After doing a quick format, is it possible to recover the files?

i have quick formatted my notebook and want to sell it for whatever, but worried someone can retrieve my files.
    Yeah, it's fairly easy to recover files (or at least, partially recover) to anyone who can be bothered to make the effort. Then again, someone has to give a rat's ass in the first place.

Still, mild paranoia wouldn't hurt. Download this, burn it to CD, and boot up your notebook with it.

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast