can anyone recommend a free (or cheap) partion making piece of software?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

can anyone recommend a free (or cheap) partion making piece of software?

I have a backup drive which is FAT32 and I cannot put any backups on it so I need to make it NTFS but I cannot do that because it has a load of stuff on it already and I have nowhere to move the stuff before changing the format .... I just want something simple that works to create a new partition on the disc so that I can then backup to it.....

Oh and before anyone says anything - sure I can, and have, googled lots of stuff but I'm very wary about installing something from a completely unknown source ... at least you guys are more or less "known" sources!

How much free space to you have on this drive?

about 60 gb

The canoncial answer back in the day was partition magic.
    I think you can get a free trial here
    Partition Magic Download

However, I've not bothered messing around with partitions in a long while, it's always been less hassle to just use an external disk.

*If your free space isn't allocated to the fat32 partition, then you can just use the Disk Management tool in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management (or FDISK)*

Last edited by octarine; 23-12-2008 at 12:54 PM.

I beat you to it. I got it, I downloaded it, I set it all up, and just as it was about to do something it said" this is just a demo version, buy the real thing to actually create a partition" (or words to that effect).

What a COMPLETE and utter waste of time. I won't buy that now because it was so unfriendly.

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Any other suggestions?
    I found this one too Norton Partition Magic alternative: Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista - FREE EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition but I've not actually used it before.

I take it that the 60Gb free space is actually allocated to the FAT32 drive...

I got to that ahead of you too ... installed it, just tried to run it and it doesnt work - for some reason the "create" button is greyed out and I have no idea why. This is just really, really annoying! Looks like I have going to have to copy all my files across to this disk, except for the big ones, rather than run a proper back up! Deep sighs. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    for some reason the "create" button is greyed out and I have no idea why.
    If you have unallocated space you can create a partition easy enough using the disk manager in XP, or diskpart command line tool.

Knoppix boot CD?

I found this: QTParted - Open Source Partition software

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast