A newcomer subscribing to Netvigator and NOW TV services

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A newcomer subscribing to Netvigator and NOW TV services

I have now got a 24-month rental agreement and am looking next to get my place connected. I have checked out their broadband and NOW TV plans here:
    http://www.netvigator.com/netvigator...e_plan.html#bb
    http://www.now-tv.com/ (30 free channels plus a few paid channels I wish to subscribe)

As a newbie I have these questions I wish to ask the incumbents:

1. Do I need to hold a HK-issued credit card or have had a bank account to subscribe to their services in the first instance? Of course, I am in the process of getting one but perhaps I could rush up on getting my place connected sooner if this is not the case.

2. Having read some threads here, I saw somebody quoting HKD 100-ish for both broadband and TV ( http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread36417.html ). How could this be possible as from what I see on their website it's HKD198 up? Is it negotiable in terms of what internet+TV bundle you want, the length of contract and how much you will be paying?

3. For the internet, what speed could a typical place in Wan Chai get? And do people usually apply for fixed hours or unlimited? I will probably serve around 2-3 hours per day after work and more at the weekends.

4. Any advice I should need to know?

Many thanks in advance for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by octave
    I have now got a 24-month rental agreement and am looking next to get my place connected. I have checked out their broadband and NOW TV plans here:
    http://www.netvigator.com/netvigator...e_plan.html#bb
    http://www.now-tv.com/ (30 free channels plus a few paid channels I wish to subscribe)

As a newbie I have these questions I wish to ask the incumbents:

1. Do I need to hold a HK-issued credit card or have had a bank account to subscribe to their services in the first instance? Of course, I am in the process of getting one but perhaps I could rush up on getting my place connected sooner if this is not the case.
    No. When I got mine subscribed a few months ago when we moved here, I used my Aussie CC to start with, and changed it when my HK CC arrived.

2. Having read some threads here, I saw somebody quoting HKD 100-ish for both broadband and TV ( http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread36417.html ). How could this be possible as from what I see on their website it's HKD198 up? Is it negotiable in terms of what internet+TV bundle you want, the length of contract and how much you will be paying?
    Deals come and go, and there are also deals for low income earners in govt housing. HK$100 sounds low for both internet and TV, but it does depend on which channels you get, and when you got the deal. Some people have deals carried over from a while back where it was cheaper. BTW, the 30 "free" channels mostly suck, except for a few like the Australian channel (if you are Australian especially)

There seems to be more room for negotiation on renewal from what I have read in the local Chinese forums.

3. For the internet, what speed could a typical place in Wan Chai get? And do people usually apply for fixed hours or unlimited? I will probably serve around 2-3 hours per day after work and more at the weekends.
    Everyone I know of gets "unlimited" access. 6Mbps and 8Mbps are common with Netvigator. Some places get fibre and 18Mbps, depends on the specific building.

4. Any advice I should need to know?

Many thanks in advance for all your help
    Street Netvigator sales people do not always have every deal, and sometimes you can get a better deal going into a PCCW shop. I talked with a few street sales people, and also went into a PCCW shop, and eventually I got a deal in a PCCW shop.

Hope this helps.

regards
    titus

1. No - you can put a cash deposit down, when I 1st arrived in HK, I had no CC. I think I put a deposit of $800 when I took out my Broadband + TV package. If say your monthly package was $200, then your $800 will be reduced accordingly, once the deposit is used up, you can just either pay the bill online via internet banking or jot down your account no. and pay at any 7/11 or by then you might have your own CC to pay the bills by.

Sometimes there may be offers whereby if you took the subcription out using a CC and paid by Autopay (Direct Debit) you might get a free cheapy DVD player thrown in.

2. $100 is probably the iCable offers (I usually see it for $150), if your home can connect to iCable you could consider them, I don't know what their service is like. My flat only has PCCW phonelines.

It's always good to have a 'choice' I guess.

Length of contract seems to be 18 months average. 24 months becoming new industry standard.

Negotiations.. most HK companies rather throw in freebies than reduce a charge/fee, so as Titus666 said.. wait till renewal.

3. HK is pretty good with Broadband speeds, I'm no techie, but no need to worry, unless you live in a cave in the mountains with S?n Wk?ng (Monkey Magic).

4. Happy surfing!

I recently subscribed and got a bundle offer, 18M broadband and nowTV (non-HD channels).
    The 18M connection costs me HKD266 a month (8M was offered at 246) and the TV channels HKD289; there was a 40% discount when you select channels for HKD288 or more after discount plus 2 for free as part of the bundle offer, so I got more channels than I actually wanted (which came up to HKD320).
    Installation fees and box rental fees are waived as part of the bundle.

Initially they pushed for 24 months but gave in to 18 months, but payment by CC was mandatory.

Certain sales people can get you better rates, for example signing up at the recent HKEC trade shows. After 2 years you can get a big discount too, either on the same or new contracts. It should always be cheaper than what they have on the website or printed literature.

There are often packages of channels at a very significant discount to the prices listed through the Now TV service too - you can sign up to channels through the TV.

Many many thanks titus, Flyrice, Raccon and MrMoo for the insight.

From what Raccon said, am I understanding correctly it's probably HKD266 for the broadband as published, plus extras for paid TV channels which would be discounted if you subscribe for the big lot? So that should come down to around HKD500+ monthly then.

MrMoo mentioned that "there are often packages of channels at a very significant discount to the prices listed through the Now TV service too - you can sign up to channels through the TV". Does it mean that I'd better get broadband plus 30 free channels first, and then apply for extra channels afterwards through the TV set-top menu?

Would these extra channels be tied to the "minimum period" clause as the broadband services?

Cheers,

The channel packages are for long term contract 12 months usually, so you have to carefully pick. If you subscribe through the TV you pay per month and can cancel any month. So if you are after a short contract get the channel package with the service or else you waste the additional months.

Unfortunately because they're not too clever it can be infuriatingly difficult to change channels from a package, e.g. if you order Cinemax Films instead of HBO by mistake.

BTW the HBO channels offered in HK are really poor.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    BTW the HBO channels offered in HK are really poor.
    Compared to?

Many many thanks titus, Flyrice, Raccon and MrMoo for the insight.
    You are welcome.

From what Raccon said, am I understanding correctly it's probably HKD266 for the broadband as published, plus extras for paid TV channels which would be discounted if you subscribe for the big lot? So that should come down to around HKD500+ monthly then.
    Yep. My suggestion is to go to one of the PCCW shops and discuss this in detail with the staff, I found them very helpful in working things out and suggesting the best combination for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast