LCD or Plasma

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by campas12:
    2. blacks= on plasma- it's really black, and doesn't have any hue to it. lcd= more of a grey...and depending on angle of viewing (and not much off center) you see shading...similar to looking at your laptop and turning it sideways slightly...
    Plasma's can't be entirely black either as the cells need to be precharged, so it's dark grey at best. However some models are pretty good at making it look black but those are usually the more expensive ones.
    LCD have so far suffered from the fact that the technology required back lighting but now that some use LEDs instead of fluorescent lamps they can switch them off in sections that are meant to be black, resulting in a dark(er) image, too. However not all LCDs use LEDs for backlighting.

In the end it's a matter of personal taste, I suggest to look at both with your favorite program and some DVDs but also include some crappy TV signal and see which one handles it better. And have the dealer switch off the room lights (not quite possible at chain stores, I know) while watching some really dark scenes to see how black the picture really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    P
    In the end it's a matter of personal taste, I suggest to look at both with your favorite program and some DVDs but also include some crappy TV signal and see which one handles it better. And have the dealer switch off the room lights (not quite possible at chain stores, I know) while watching some really dark scenes to see how black the picture really is.
    Good point. Note that Plasmas are a lot more forgiving when watching low quality video. LCDs amplify banding,blocking and other compression artifacts greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I saw "may cause drowsiness" on a packet of sleeping tablets.
    ...talking of tablets, i was charged with the task of picking up some cold and flu medicine for girlfriend on sunday on the way home...watsons was packed and I queued for 10minutes to buy the bloody things...got home and i'd bought an empty box! not impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Shouldn't that be on a sign outside the Houses of Parliament?

I think it's an EU requirement that all allergens are listed. It could be Cadbury is taking it one step further to avoid being sued by a person who likes to sue... or a really stupid person.

i tot it applies to all male donned trunks and briefs ? ops...

If it wasn't for the fact that I am planning a very specific home media set-up that requires a very particular LCD for technical reasons, I would definitely choose a plasma. Modern plasma screens don't suffer from screen burn in the same way as the earlier models did; nor do they put out as much heat or suck up as much energy.

Of course, the limitations of older model LCD screens are also disappearing on newer models, too. Better blacks, wider viewing angles. But LCDs will still cost you more for what you get.

When OLED screens finally start getting mass-produced in sizes around the 50" mark, achieve significantly longer life-spans and miraculously plummet in price, then I may look at getting one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    LCD TVs do not suffer from burn-in, use less power, and at the smaller end of the scale (at under 32-inch), LCD is your only way forward if what you want is something slim and stylish.

I would go with LCD TV.
    I agree with you for 32 inch or smaller as there is no choice except LCD...

If the plasma is available for the screen size you are looking at, plasma is the way to go, IMHO

I will only pick LCD TV when the room is very bright or the TV has to set against the window due to the ability of LCD to produce eye-blinding brightness which could compete well with sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The EU is planning to ban plasma tvs because of their electricity sucking ways.
    Errr - Not true if you care to read the whole article and not just the headline.

EU ( if you can't sleep and read the official EU blurb on this ) are talking about identifying high consumption items and that there should be labeling as there are with other white goods with an extreme possibility that they could be banned. Rather like YOU COULD be put in prison for 1 yr for dropping litter but never would.

IN FACT - the industry has moved on since the survey and basis of the paper was published. So - IAW normal EEC lawmaking they will only try to deny something that which does not exist in any case. How would they enforce bought items being scrapped ? Send round the TV police ? Its a prime case of MEPs trying to justify putting their noses deeper into the trough when really there is no need for them at all. We all remember the definition of a banana by its curvature !!

Just imagine the looming lawsuit against restrictive practice and interference in the market by Television Makers and distributors. You cannot tell someone what they can or cannot buy unless it is dangerous to their health and then that is a very subjective. Cigarettes must have some cracking case law that can be applied.

Never let the truth get in the way of a selling another newspaper or filling that gap in the slow news day !!!