LCD or Plasma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LCD or Plasma

Hi,

I am in the process of looking for a new flat screen TV for my home.

Just wondering, is anyone able to explain the difference between a LCD and Plasma. I tried asking at fortress and they didnt really explain it too clearly to me...

Cheers

as a person who's had both...i prefer plasma (a 1080i one at that!)...plasma seems more lifelike to me- although 'technically' lcd is sharper...

i can't really say/describe why, but the next time i buy a tv (if i have to) it'll be plasma (this is based on a panny 1080i vs a jvc 1080p)...the only thing i can really say (or two) is
    1. on high motion/action scenes...my lcd signal breaks down slightly and is blotchy...the plasma is flawless in this dept.
    2. blacks= on plasma- it's really black, and doesn't have any hue to it. lcd= more of a grey...and depending on angle of viewing (and not much off center) you see shading...similar to looking at your laptop and turning it sideways slightly...

Last edited by campas12; 13-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.

These are two competing seemingly similar technologies but quite different internally. I personally prefer plasmas unless we need to output a lot of text (like use with a computer) in which case LCD are a must.

In the broadest of terms, plasmas a very similar to your CRT (use Red, Green and Blue illumination, additive colors) while LCDs project white light and then use a electronic charge to subtract the color that is not required from this light (subtractive colors). Other factors are increasingly becomming less of a concern but the text resolution (as I mentioned above) is definitely better on LCDs while the viewing angle of Plasma is always an advantage.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The EU is planning to ban plasma tvs because of their electricity sucking ways. But the EU also has Cadbury putting "Contains Milk" on a bar of milk chocolate!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    But the EU also has Cadbury putting "Contains Milk" on a bar of milk chocolate!
    Nearly spilled my coffee all over my pc after seeing this. Cheer Claire.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The EU is planning to ban plasma tvs because of their electricity sucking ways. But the EU also has Cadbury putting "Contains Milk" on a bar of milk chocolate!
    I don't know if the EU are responsible, although it would not suprise me, but there are also "Contains Nuts" warnings on packets of nuts...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    "Contains Nuts"
    Shouldn't that be on a sign outside the Houses of Parliament?

I think it's an EU requirement that all allergens are listed. It could be Cadbury is taking it one step further to avoid being sued by a person who likes to sue... or a really stupid person.

Quote Originally Posted by AW2007:
    Hi,

I am in the process of looking for a new flat screen TV for my home.

Just wondering, is anyone able to explain the difference between a LCD and Plasma. I tried asking at fortress and they didnt really explain it too clearly to me...

Cheers
    According to practical home theater guide posted by JGL:

Plasma gives you a bigger screen for your dollar, deeper blacks, and better pixel response times.

LCD TVs do not suffer from burn-in, use less power, and at the smaller end of the scale (at under 32-inch), LCD is your only way forward if what you want is something slim and stylish.

I would go with LCD TV.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    I don't know if the EU are responsible, although it would not suprise me, but there are also "Contains Nuts" warnings on packets of nuts...
    I saw "may cause drowsiness" on a packet of sleeping tablets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast