Safe email with big inbox (NOT Gmail etc)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And now Google Latitude - Google will have a record of where you spent every minute of your life...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    My issue is that I don't want all my emails sitting for ever on some easily hacked server. Google is trying to position itself as a single place where every minute detail of people's lives is recorded for ever (Gmail, Calendar, photo albums, etc etc). The concept makes me very uncomfortable.
    I would agree to that, and that's probably why i don't use their calender, photo albums, etc.

I only use their best service, and that's Gmail.

Life without email is almost impossible, and I'd argue that your email is safer (hacker wise) on Gmail then the Netvigatior solutions (or any other solution that smaller companies would suggest).

Anyway, it's just an opinion , got no hard data on it ...

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH:
    These are things Gmail provides with an near unlimited inbox. Why not use this one?

It's also free.
    Has a great Spam filter
    With google apps you can link it to your own domain name
    And it's probably more reliable that using a SME company to handle your email.
    The reason for not gmail was simple. Our IT department is paranoid and are US based so have heard of gmail and like PDLM think of it as an "easily hacked server". Copying company email outside the company is anti-IT policy and I only get it done as a "special case" because I travel in dodgy places where VPN is not stable!

They have no idea what netvigator is and therefore have no basis to refuse to copy to it. It was not a reflection at all that I though gmail would not do the job!

Anyway, I paid for the upgrade to netvigator and have set my copy up to go there - seems to be working so that's that. I pay for it already so I might as well use it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 05-02-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krypton:
    What is the use case of having your company email forwarded to another account?
    Because company email can only get through Outlook/VPN or webmail. Try staying connected to VPN in an airport lounge in manila, for example..... If it loses the connection part way through it tends to crash Outlook and is a right pain. Outlook express, being simple and low tech, just restarts from where it left off - much easier to manage.

PDLM you are going in the right direction but the issue goes much further.

Every time you email someone at Gmail you area also being profiled.
    Based on your language skills the are able to profile you and also determine the importance of what you are writing.
    Google tool bar Links all you browsing, seaching gmail profile into one.
    New Gdrive - upload your life.
    All the pages you visit where there are Google ads can be used to track you and profile you, same for analytics.

I have been the past targeted with Job offers on Google adverts, flattery yet creepy.

If you want to protect yourself a bit more, Use adblock plus to block the ads, the analytics, also use the customize google plug in to block your cookie/Google ID.

Google is great at appealing at peoples greed and ignorance.

Yes thanks for that. I have had Adblock in for a long time now. I have a white list of cookies and everything else gets cleaned out very frequently. Google (or Yahoo) toolbar? You've got to be kidding! I use Google for simple search only.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Because company email can only get through Outlook/VPN or webmail. Try staying connected to VPN in an airport lounge in manila, for example..... If it loses the connection part way through it tends to crash Outlook and is a right pain. Outlook express, being simple and low tech, just restarts from where it left off - much easier to manage.
    Why turn things into such a drama?

Get a provider or a server that does SSL.
    Last edited by hk.com; 05-02-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Why turn things into such a drama?

Who - me or the corporate IT dept? If you mean me ...ummm well I have no idea what you are talking about. If you mean the IT dept ... ummm well, have you any idea how often the huge corporate IT dept based in the USA, none of whom have ever worked outside the USA, listens to a single person on the other side of the world .....

My solution works for me - I just needed to recreate it after I lost my aussie ISP.....

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Or amusingly upgrade to Vista, IPv6 with 2008 Server and Direct Access which uses IPSEC to maintain permanent credentials with your home gateway so you never need to redo the login process.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ent...ectaccess.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Or amusingly upgrade to Vista, IPv6 with 2008 Server and Direct Access which uses IPSEC to maintain permanent credentials with your home gateway so you never need to redo the login process.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ent...ectaccess.aspx
    Words which I understood in the above post ..."upgrade, maintain, home, never need to redo".

:0