Like Tree3Likes

Is a dehumidifier function on a/c enough?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    KRP

Great advice thanks, I'd rather not buy a clothes dryer. I'll give the dehumidifier a go and see how we get on with that.

Worst for me was 2 years ago, when we had 6 weeks of rain every single day (was living in shenzhen, i guess would be the same weather in Hong Kong).

Returned from 3 weeks in Europe and came back to an apartment infested with mold. In the end, we had to replace all the wallpaper and throw everything out (all clothing from the closet, duvet, pillow, etc.). Got an industrial (like you somethimes see in the MTR) dehumidifier running day and night to get it livable again.

Good times

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507
    I find aircon very noisy at night (I am a light sleeper)
    Funny though because I used to be unable to sleep with noise of any form (even used to put ticking watches outside the bedroom) but now find I sleep better with the noise of the aircon when it is on. I think it blocks out all the other noise and because it is a constant hum the brain learns to filter it out.

Yes - going away for 2 or 3 weeks can be a problem - you need a dehumidifier that takes a hose so that you can run it throughout that period without the tank filling up, or for someone to come in pretty much daily (depending on the size of your dehumidifier) to empty the tank.

Here are my experiences:

While living further down South, i.e. in a tropical country with the same hot & humid weather every day, the air-con was a life-saver, sometimes running 24-7. Dry and cool, and I feel right at home. Keeps roaches and mosquitos out, too.

My air-con here in HK does a poor job when using the dehumidifer-function to dry laundry in the small bedroom. Running all night the clothes are still wet in the morning (not just damp).
    During the weekend the air-con running in dehumidifier-mode leaked, right onto my freshly washed bedsheets and new matress. Moved my bed to prevent this from happening again.

The washing-dryer combo provided sucks, drying takes ages (at least 2 hours) and then the stuff may still be damp, depending on how much clothes were in there (but not overloaded). It's supposed to be like that according to the manual since it makes ironing easier. Right.

Bought some of those dehumidifier packets for the wardrobe and they were used up after a couple of weeks, and that was recently i.e. during the "dry" weather.

Bottom line: Will buy a portable dehumidifer soon since I already fought with some mold after moving in (the landlord came to remove it after I located the source of the smell, on the underside of the drawers in the wardrobe).

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    Bought some of those dehumidifier packets for the wardrobe and they were used up after a couple of weeks, and that was recently i.e. during the "dry" weather.
    But presumably you had the windows open then?

Hello again PDLM,
    Can you advise further WHEN we can let the windows open to save some energy? Or it's better to keep the windows closed all the time to be safe during humid seasons?
    To shilo507, I assume by 'tower fans' you mean the high fan/low fan function in a split aircon system?
    And FilipH, truly admire your taking such a light approach when talking about your experience---I would've gone mad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    But presumably you had the windows open then?
    Nope, have them closed most of the time but I guess with the wet laundry in the same room it's just too much.

OztoHK,

You simply have to judge the humidity. If you find that hard then go to the Observatory website and it will tell you. If the humidity is below about 75% or the temperature is below about 24 then I would have the windows open. If it's above about 27 (regardless of humidity) or above 75% between 24 and 27 then I'll have the aircon or dehumidifiers on.

But that's just me. Your personal tolerance may vary, and the effect of the humidity on your apartment does seem to vary enormously between individual places.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    Nope, have them closed most of the time but I guess with the wet laundry in the same room it's just too much.
    Indeed - where do you expect the water to go if the windows are closed and you are adding more to the atmosphere all the time?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast