Like Tree3Likes

Is a dehumidifier function on a/c enough?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Interestingly, we had no problems whatsoever with damp, mould etc since we arrived. We do keep one aircon running with the dehumidifier going when not in the boat and never open windows - but one small aircon for the size of the boat seemed low - but worked fine. I thought that being so close to the water would be a problem but I wonder if the reverse is actually true?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Indeed - where do you expect the water to go if the windows are closed and you are adding more to the atmosphere all the time?
    As I said before I used the aircon in dehumidifier mode, but that was a waste of electricity.

Hi SasDre,
    Had sent you a PM but in case other viewers are also interested to know, here are some points I've observed:
    1. I was very surprised how noisy a dehumidifer can be. I didn't see many warnings regarding this on this forum, even PDML mentioned that the larger the capacity, the noisier it gets (or something like that). The sales clerk in Fortress (who turned out to have a very high tolerance level about noise) told me NeoMax was 'very quiet'. I went back to the store yesterday hoping to find something quieter. I tested on all other brands in store from 16 litres above, also including Fortress own brand(10 litre as it's so cheap). They are as noisy as the one I bought, if not noisier(Fortress being the noisiest). Maybe I have a problem with noise intolerance??? Anyway I decided to stay with NeoMax in the end($2,980 for my whole place instead of two from another brand eg De Longhi which costs around $5,000+);
    2. The machine does a very good job at extracting moist(maybe because it's powerful with 25 litre?). I had it on from 1pm to 8pm yesterday and it quickly brought down the humidity level from 80% to 64% then just stayed there somehow; but it did collect a full 5 litre bucket of water. I was truly horrified and even doubting more on aircons being just as good/efficient as a dehumifier. I believe a dehumifier is a must-have for me anyway;
    3. It also has other features like timer, LCD control panel, auto stop and easy to move around. So overall not too bad at this price range.

Hope the above helps a little with your decision making. Now I'm a happy person once again when touching dry toilet paper, dry bath towels and lying on dry sheet, snuggled under light and soft quilt etc etc.

newgirl and Aussiegirl75 like this.

64% is a perfectly OK humidity level - you are only likely to have mould problems above 75% I reckon. Much below 60% consistently is uncomfortably dry for me.

Thanks PDLM, I was hoping you could provide more guide on the acceptable humidity level but worrying people might think I get too obsessed with this problem(if not already). I probably can turn the dehumidifier off once it reaches 66% to show some concerns on the environment...

Buying a dehumidifier is the best purchase I've made in HK! Air Con can do the job but is just not as good as a dedicated dehumidifier.

Glad you bought one and no longer have to deal with clingy/smelly clothes, toilet paper etc!

btw, yes they can be noisy, so test before you buy (stick to your guns, don't let those Sales people push you into buying the more expensive one). I own a Panasonic one and it's relatively quiet on normal setting, it has a lo-silent function which I use overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by OZTOHK
    Hello everybody,
    We are also new to HK and I really got panicked after seeing our bedlinens got heavier and heavier(esp. after laying them out on the balcony hoping the wind will get rid of the dampness). Thanks to all the great advice on this forum I have now done the following:
    1. bought a 25 litre dehumidifier yesterday in Fortress(NEO MAX, never heard of this brand but the sales person strongly recommended it) for our 1,183 sq ft flat;
    2. bought 8 boxes of dehumidifiers and put them in all wardrobes and shoe case; will replace them as soon as the indicator says so;
    3. closed all the windows before turning on all the four aircons(with dry settings on); will switch to the Neo Max dehumidifier once it's delivered tomorrow.
    I'm hoping the above measures will help us get through the humid season(s) in HK.
    Can someone please let me know how many months in HK are considered humid if I'm being very fussy about the dampness, eg. I'd think it starts from Mid-Feb. this year.
    Thanks heaps!!!
    Hello OZTOHK,

I'm also looking for a dehumidifier and interested to buy the NeoMax brand too. Are you happy with it?

Appreciate your sharing.

Great thread.. I didn't seem to have a problem during the summer that was noticeable, but obviously I don't remember how bad it gets here! Will be looking to buy one as well.

Are there are recommendations of brands for any units for just a small room, roughly about 220 sq. ft.?

Will be looking this week!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Interestingly, we had no problems whatsoever with damp, mould etc since we arrived. We do keep one aircon running with the dehumidifier going when not in the boat and never open windows - but one small aircon for the size of the boat seemed low - but worked fine. I thought that being so close to the water would be a problem but I wonder if the reverse is actually true?
    Weird isn't it. We live overlooking the harbour, about 20 yards I guess (plus the 15 floors down) and although it is humid we do not have aircon on yet and don't have humidifiers nor anything in the wardrobes. No mould, not really damp, not a problem. Seems to be reverse logic going on - the nearer the sea the less of a problem! We dry clothes outside on the balcony, perhaps that is the reason?

Hi Chongdeb,
    Yes I am pretty happy with it. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the noise can come as a bit of a surprise/shock to someone who has never needed to use a dehumidifier before. But I've learned to put up with it as the dehumidifier had successfully eradicated the damp/mould problem for us. In the last two weeks there were days I had to empty two full buckets of water(from 9am to 9pm); most of the days only one full bucket. But the last day or two I didn't even have to turn it on, as according to PDLM, plus my personal experiment, if the outside humidity level is around 68-70% and temp. below 22 degrees, I will open the windows to save energy. You'll notice also that in those 'good' days the washings on the balcony get dry faily quickly too.

While there are some lucky ones who really don't need a dehumidifier, and some can make do with air cons only, there are also plenty of people who have to make a quick decision of buying a dehumidifier and getting one fast...Especially if you quite possibly may go on holidays for a period of time.

Sorry Mr_dimsum, can't comment on yours. However I found the following features if present in a dehumidifier would be very convenient:
    1. Bigger bucket capacity; you'd be surprised how quickly they get filled up, especially if there is no one at home to empty them;
    2. Auto stop function;
    3. Air purifier mode;(very nice to have especially when you have to keep all the windows closed and the inside air can get very stuffy without the air con on);
    4. A hose to be able to connect to the sink while you are away for a while;
    5. Compact and with wheels to move around.

When I went back to Fortress trying to find something quieter, another staff highly recommended De Longhi 16 litre(the one without heater function if you already got your own heater). She said it was the quietest in store(she showed me the decibel measurement on the manual) and covers around 300 sq ft. So good luck to both of you!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast