Like Tree3Likes

Is a dehumidifier function on a/c enough?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    KRP

Is a dehumidifier function on a/c enough?

With the recent humid foggy weather everything in our apartment feels damp. We have discovered a dehumidifier function on our a/c. Will this be enough or in your experience do you think we will also need to buy a portable dehumidifier?

We have only been in HK for a couple of months now so this sticky damp weather is all very new to us. Any thoughts welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by KRP

We have only been in HK for a couple of months now so this sticky damp weather is all very new to us. Any thoughts welcome!
    funny. The thing is, the damp weather hasn't even begun yet. It will get a lot worse in a couple of months. If you believe this is 2 sticky, then you should get a portable one when it really gets damp.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH
    funny. The thing is, the damp weather hasn't even begun yet. It will get a lot worse in a couple of months. If you believe this is 2 sticky, then you should get a portable one when it really gets damp.
    So true!!!

By the time the really humid weather begins it will also be hot so you will need the aircon on. In itself this does dry things out. I have used the dehumdifier function on the aircon a couple of times in previous years and yes it does do the job. (Of course it all depends on the size of your flat and the power of your aircon.)

And, of course, make sure all your windows are fully closed before running it!

we live fairly high up in the fog right now, and our split a/cs with dry function can only bring down the RH to about 85%...luckily we have a portable unit as well...i would suggest you get one for the next few months and invest in the dry boxes you see stacked up now in PnS, for your cabinets and wardrobes

Last edited by timklip; 16-02-2009 at 10:45 AM.

KRP

Thanks everybody. Looks like we need to get ourselves a portable dehumidifier.

Another question...we have a 4 bedroom apartment. Do we need one for each room or is it enough to move one around? Or maybe one for the main living space and one to share between the bedrooms?

Also, should we use the boxes for wardrobes in addition to the portable dehumidifiers?

I look forward to seeing what the weather is like in a couple of months!

Thanks again

Thanks everybody. Looks like we need to get ourselves a portable dehumidifier.

Another question...we have a 4 bedroom apartment. Do we need one for each room or is it enough to move one around? Or maybe one for the main living space and one to share between the bedrooms?

Also, should we use the boxes for wardrobes in addition to the portable dehumidifiers?

I look forward to seeing what the weather is like in a couple of months!

Thanks again

A lot depends on where you live and the size of your flat. We have never used boxes for wardrobes (or dehumidifiers more than a couple of times) and not had a problem whereas other people seem to have serious problems.

If you want to cheer yourself up look on Google for the average rainfall figures for Hong Kong in June.

KRP

and here I was thinking it was sunny all of the time in Hong Kong!

I kid you not, the floor in one of our bedrooms yesterday was wet.

Off to Fortress later.

and here I was thinking it was sunny all of the time in Hong Kong!

I kid you not, the floor in one of our bedrooms yesterday was wet.

Off to Fortress later.
    The air conditioning will really help during the hot and humid months. Works wonders to take the humidity out of the room, so don't worry about it. But i do find your remark a bit odd, as these are quite dry months now.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast