39 58.21%
  • No

28 41.79%
Like Tree10Likes

do you have a clothes dryer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

do you have a clothes dryer?

The post on dehumidifying your apartment made me wonder how common it is to have a clothes dryer in hong kong? From that thread it seems a lot of people don't use dryers.

Coming from a very very dry and static prone climate, where every single home has a dryer, even though with the weather and size of homes it would not be that hard to line dry your clothes, no one does this.

When we travel to hong kong I find it so damp, even in winter, but of course much worse in the summer. I stay in a serviced apartment and have to use the washer/dryer combo machine which barely drys your clothes at all. With small kids we have had to run that machine practically all the time. It takes all day to do 2 tiny loads. I drives me crazy! We are only there to visit for short periods of time so just put up with it, but if I lived there all the time I know there is absolutly no way that I could survive long term without a separate washer and dryer! How do you do it? Where do hang up all your clothes if it is too damp outside and you live in a tiny aprtment, especially if you have a family and clothing for 4 people's clothes to dry?

put up a poll! yes, we have (and use) a dryer.

I added a poll. We have one too.

yes. we have a dryer.

We find that in the winter that hanging the clothes (indoors) and pointing a fan at them is sufficient (they are dry overnight); in summer the same with a dehumidifier running.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by babymommy2:
    The post on dehumidifying your apartment made me wonder how common it is to have a clothes dryer in hong kong? From that thread it seems a lot of people don't use dryers.

Coming from a very very dry and static prone climate, where every single home has a dryer, even though with the weather and size of homes it would not be that hard to line dry your clothes, no one does this.

When we travel to hong kong I find it so damp, even in winter, but of course much worse in the summer. I stay in a serviced apartment and have to use the washer/dryer combo machine which barely drys your clothes at all. With small kids we have had to run that machine practically all the time. It takes all day to do 2 tiny loads. I drives me crazy! We are only there to visit for short periods of time so just put up with it, but if I lived there all the time I know there is absolutly no way that I could survive long term without a separate washer and dryer! How do you do it? Where do hang up all your clothes if it is too damp outside and you live in a tiny aprtment, especially if you have a family and clothing for 4 people's clothes to dry?
    Ooh, I remember the 1st month we came to HK and stayed at Gateway. . . their dryer drove me nuts!!! I ended up stringing clothes all over the place and turning the aircon on full blast to dry it. The first thing I did after we moved into the regular apartment was to buy the washer and dryer!! So far we're on the 2nd washer and the dryer had a major rehaul after 4.5 years!

never needed a dryer, either the sun is good enough or the humidifier.

when we moved i bought a stackable washer/ dryer. we only use the dryer on humid/rainy days. just replaced the washer after 6 years and the dryer still works fine

I had a dryer in NZ and never used it - used to hang the washing outside - but here, even on low humidity days, I cannot bring myself to hang my nice clean washing out in the filthy polluted air (even though we have a huge area on top of the boat I could use)! Seems counter-productive....

And it takes up too much space hanging around inside - although I do for some things if I just have a small wash.

I do not use a dryer. Never used one in Oz, don't see the need for using one in HK.
    I simply hang my wet and soggy stuff on a clothes rack and its dry overnight, or by the time I get back from work.
    I may not be typical in that I live alone in a large apt, so I have the luxury of space.

dot.zen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast