Like Tree6Likes

Beware: electronics chain "Fortress"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I notice a lot of FOB newbies in Hong Kong frequently suffer from 1 of 2 types of paranoia:
    1) I keep getting sick from the MSG in all the food
    2) People are ripping me off (like this guy with Fortress, and the other guy with Hong Kong Post)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrice
    I've had a bad experience with Fortress, but a faulty product is a faulty product and they refunded me my money (although a bit reluctant). I would still use Fortress or Broadway, depends on the offers.

If Fortress was so bad and Broadway is only a "slighty" better alternative, where would you suggest people buy their electrical goods and appliances? I guess Jusco and Sogo are alternatives, but are they better? I'm sure all goods are prone to damage whilst in transit etc.
    There are heaps of alternatives, GOME, BEST, CMK and Chung Yuen Electrical, not too mention heaps of smaller independent stores.

And for the record, in my opinion, Fortress and Broadway are about the most expensive places you could shop for this kind of gear, they stick to their listed RRP, and thats it. But they do have more English speaking staff in the inner city area's.....

As to the debate about made in China named brands, which affects most products... Apple is all made in China, Most of Sony's computing gear, ie PSP, laptops VAIO, PS3 etc Nintendo Wii... ??? So what ?
    Last edited by Skyhook; 12-03-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    And for the record, in my opinion, Fortress and Broadway are about the most expensive places you could shop for this kind of gear, they stick to their listed RRP, and thats it. But they do have more English speaking staff in the inner city area's.....
    Generally agree with your post, except for this point: Prices at Fortress are definitely not fixed - from personal experience (and I do not shop at Fortress very frequently) I have gotten a discount about 90% of the time.

Have they ever given 10 - 20% discount ?

CMK Shatin for example, when I purchased my my Canon 70 - 300mm IS lens, were 30% cheaper than anybody else in Hong Kong...

Beachball I know what you mean, but Fortress or Broadway, throwing in a Hello Kitty tissue holder or knocking off $50.00 isn't my idea of a discount, and if it involves wasting more than 10 minutes of my time, i will walk, and find a much more willing store, that will drop its prices enough to get my business, right then and there.

I have always managed to buy most things 20 - 35% less than listed RRP, via local friends or family that own electrical appliance shops ...

Last edited by Skyhook; 12-03-2009 at 05:49 PM.

I always get a discount of between 5-12% from Fortress - depends on the category of item and how much commission the sales person is willing to forgo to make the sale.

The best discount ever that i got was at CMK in Times Square. I saw a 37" LCD in Fortress for $13,800 which they were offering me 10% off and a bunch of freebies. At CMK the sticker price was $13,200 and they gave me $2k flat off and threw in a 19" 2nd tier brand LCD tv which i thought was a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Have they ever given 10 - 20% discount ?
    On a larger ticket items (i.e. TV, sound system, camera lenses) I am able to regularly negotiate between 10-15% discount from Fortress and Broadway.

In fact, lately, Broadway has become my #1 place to purchase high-end camera lenses (i.e. those which are 10k+) as they are able to beat any prices from the shops on Stanley St. and come very close to any legitimate shop in Mong Kok (also with an option of having it split into 12m installments on HSBS/Hang Seng CC). When I bought my latest camera body from Broadway in August, I got them to lower the price by 10% and throw in extra battery (original manufacturer..not 3rd party), circular polarizing filter (Hoya Pro), an 8GB Extreme III CF card, (and they threw in their usual crap...some cheap useless tripod, a multi-card reader, 2 camera bags (one of which was Hello Kitty naturally, etc...). Anyway, I thought it was a great deal. I priced that kit consistently and was only able to beat it using gray market items.

HSBS???? i thought i was the only one in hk who thought HSBC SHOULD have been named... HS-BS!

Quote Originally Posted by climber07
    On a larger ticket items (i.e. TV, sound system, camera lenses) I am able to regularly negotiate between 10-15% discount from Fortress and Broadway.
    Consistent with my experience.

In fact, lately, Broadway has become my #1 place to purchase high-end camera lenses (i.e. those which are 10k+) as they are able to beat any prices from the shops on Stanley St. and come very close to any legitimate shop in Mong Kok (also with an option of having it split into 12m installments on HSBS/Hang Seng CC). When I bought my latest camera body from Broadway in August, I got them to lower the price by 10% and throw in extra battery (original manufacturer..not 3rd party), circular polarizing filter (Hoya Pro), an 8GB Extreme III CF card, (and they threw in their usual crap...some cheap useless tripod, a multi-card reader, 2 camera bags (one of which was Hello Kitty naturally, etc...). Anyway, I thought it was a great deal. I priced that kit consistently and was only able to beat it using gray market items.
    Interesting, thanks. Good to know.

I priced that kit consistently and was only able to beat it using gray market items.
    CMK are an authorized Canon retailer, nobody mentioned "grey"market, usually only stores trying to justify their high price say BS like that. My ears prick up the moment I hear the "grey market " words of wisdom, from anybody, and me finding another retailer that just gets to the point... a price i am willing to pay, that's close to what I could get in Tokyo/USA, which I typically use for price comparison.

As per another thread also, http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread41889-2.html if one shops native, for audio visual and photographic gear, Mong Kok is the place to buy. But you need to hunt around more local buildings and explore whats out there, floor by floor, until you get the best CASH deal possible...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 12-03-2009 at 08:13 PM.

I always find that the ticketed prices are higher than the true price in those stores. You don't have to negotiate a discount, you just ask how much it is and you'll be told a much lower price.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast