Like Tree6Likes

Beware: electronics chain "Fortress"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fergie
    I am no FOB. I have been here since '99. And I am a woman. ANYWAYZ, it was a JVC ipod doc that worked with the cord in it but not by itself with just the batteries. Because it worked with the cord in it, they considered it a working object. Then they sold me an HP printer cartridge that immediately started printing stripes. When I fussed, they looked at me cross-eyed. Broadway is cool but they don't take Amex and are always out of stuff. I am glad that everyone else here has had good experiences though.
    i have noticed that they never have the cheapest item in stock if that is what you mean? that is probably a sales ploy to get you to buy something more expensive. just ask when it will be in stock (a common answer is they don't know) then just get their number and keep calling everyday asking if it is in stock until they get so annoyed they will just sell it to you! but that is with any electronic store and not just Fortress.

And why you want to use AMEX? there is also Visa, Mastercard and Cash and EPS...

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy

And why you want to use AMEX? there is also Visa, Mastercard and Cash and EPS...
    I don't know why the OP wants to use it, but I want to use it because mine gives me more points etc. than other cards.....

OP

My particular Amex card has theft insurance on goods purchased. I like the points as well. Also, my husband pays that bill

I recently had an issue with Fortress after buying something from their website.
    First they changed the delivery date, then they didn't deliver - neither did they call. I had to chase them for several days just to admit that they did not deliver and am now chasing for 5 weeks to get a refund... Lesson learned: never buy anything from their website

I recently bought a dehumidifier from them, it didn't work, so we took it back. They said we could only return it if we had the original packaging.....which we didn't.

After a bit of negotiation, we took ours back to the shop, swapped it for a new one (but minus the packaging).

I'm pretty sure that their aim was to wrap up the one we'd returned and sell it to another unsuspecting customer!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jigs
    I recently bought a dehumidifier from them, it didn't work, so we took it back. They said we could only return it if we had the original packaging.....which we didn't.

After a bit of negotiation, we took ours back to the shop, swapped it for a new one (but minus the packaging).

I'm pretty sure that their aim was to wrap up the one we'd returned and sell it to another unsuspecting customer!
    Must be the one I got.

As it happened I also bought a dehumidifer (Neomax) from Fortress the other day that didn't work. They put a bright orange sticker on it which says: "10-Day Money Back Guarantee" and "Fortress provides you with a full refund or replacement within 10 days of purchase on any item found with manufacturing defects. The official receipt, an unfilled warranty, together with the product, accessories and orignal packing must be supplied. Refund will be made by method of payment."

So the rules seem pretty clear though I have to admit the last two sentences are printed in rather small letters.

Took it back but they didn't have the same model in stock, so offered me another brand (Zanussi) which was slightly more expensive but after negotiating they waived the difference. Because they didn't have any stock of that either they offered to deliver it a few days later, free of charge and did so during the time agreed.
    Last edited by Raccon; 21-05-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fergie
    Beware of the electronics chain "Fortress". They will sell you things that are broken, even high-end models like JBL and HP. They take no responsibility for purchases after you walk you of the store which makes me think they they have these rules set in place because they know their products are shoddy. The problem is they sell American-branded items that are made in China and are often of lesser quality. My experience with them has been very saddening and frustrating. I am writing this to caution other consumers. Broadway is a (slightly) better alternative.
    almost all consumer electronics are made in China these days. the brand can be Japanese or American or Korean. so BWY sells American products made in America? the manufacturing base and supply chain are in China and the goods are simply branded as ie Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, etc. and sold globally. Might be some variation in model numbers based on market but its all the same. Dont try to use the made in China thing as a scare tactic. why dont you import a pontiac or chrysler vehicle and drive it in hk? lol. made in detroit by your grandfather must be high quality like Zenith, RCA, and the others that went the way of the do do bird. lol.
    Last edited by KelliC; 09-06-2009 at 04:36 PM.

The power of the internet and Geoexpat.

I am looking to buy a small fridge, washer and TV and went to a number of stores and finally the Times Square location where Victor in that department met my needs for a good English explanation and convinced me by his approach that if I go up a model in washer, it be by my own decision versus him up-selling me - as he wasn't.

I just wanted to confirm something about some products I plan to buy at Fortress so I Googled "Fortress" and due to Geoxpat's ranking you get this thread high up with the "Beware" warning. Most posts here are complimentary and those like Skyhook who have other sources for cheaper prices aren't exactly knocking Fortress but suggesting if you have other sources, you can beat the price.

If not Fortress for price and sales service, where else do you go to avoid too many different delivery companies and sitting at home waiting too many days???

As I am not looking for high end stuff as my first home is still in Canada, Fortress looks pretty good to me.

sxc

Go to eCOX Electronic Depot 電器資訊網 - www.eCOX.com.hk once you decide what you want to buy. You can get quotes via email, and they will arrange delivery etc. All goods are original, and as per usual in hk the delivery actually can come from the manufacturer, not using the retailer as the middle man.

The price is usually cheaper than what you can negotiate at fortress. Only downside is they charge more for credit card.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I am going to put this eCOX site in my favorites. Great site and the prices ( cash option - not list price ) are very reasonable. What surprised me was that it was brand comprehensive and not just a China source box shifter.

Has it been up long as I have never come across them before?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast