Like Tree6Likes

Beware: electronics chain "Fortress"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    sxc

Ecox have been around for a while, but I only discovered them last year. I saw that there has been some postings about ecox on asiaxpat a few years ago.

If you buy a few things, they will give you more of a discount than what is listed on the price lists.

Tacky

I tried to buy some stuff in Fortress but when they wanted to sell me
    a display model toaster that was decidely dirty for 5% discount I backed off. The model had been discontinued despite being listed on their website a day or so before. They also could not understand what "Region Coding" means! I went to a few of their stores but decided they are very tacky. Eventually I found the HiFi places in Mong Kok mentioned elsewhere on this site and they are superb. Real quality HiFi. Amazing. The sales people knew their products and the prices were right. The dvd players are region free for the most part - something which is very fuzzy in shops like Fortress. I got a good toaster in Broadway - not the cheapest but a better shopping experience than Fortress.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuxai
    I tried to buy some stuff in Fortress but when they wanted to sell me
    a display model toaster that was decidely dirty for 5% discount I backed off. The model had been discontinued despite being listed on their website a day or so before. They also could not understand what "Region Coding" means! I went to a few of their stores but decided they are very tacky. Eventually I found the HiFi places in Mong Kok mentioned elsewhere on this site and they are superb. Real quality HiFi. Amazing. The sales people knew their products and the prices were right. The dvd players are region free for the most part - something which is very fuzzy in shops like Fortress. I got a good toaster in Broadway - not the cheapest but a better shopping experience than Fortress.

I think Fortress like Broadway depends on the luck of the draw you get when you deal with the salesperson. I bought a camera for my wife from a super easy to deal with guy at Broadway in Mong Kok a year or so ago and he actually let me down sell my self on a camera AND a month later on the cell phone I needed when I went to get that a second Pentax for myself from the same guy.

I have just finished buying a TV, fridge, food steamer, coffee pot, kettle, iron, vacuum and table gas cooker for delivery July 4th at the Fortress Causeway Bay store and I couldn't be happier (so far). However, the young guy I dealt with, Vincent Wong, spoke great English and was absolutely first class. I didn't get the washing machine as my buddy was there and talked me into waiting and this guy said nothing and I was there twice to pick out the fridge and then buy the stuff. His sales style was such that I was about to up sell myself on several products!

The TV guy he took me to at first wasn't much help as I was buying a cheaper model and it was near closing time and he didn't seem to be that interested. I then found a great Phillips 37 inch TV for just under $4,000HK at another Fortress and went back to CWB and added that to my original order and that sales guy was also super. Not sure of his name though.

Today I was dealing with Winson Li a very nice and good PCCW sales person at their 113 Des Voeux Road store and then added a land line to the internet/TV and was given a choice of gifts (only to find out that the $895 pots aren't going to mine for 4 to 6 weeks). Okay, a bit tricky but fine. Then the next person at cash shoves a 30 month phone contract in front of me and I got annoyed and said forget the phone, keep the gift, and now I am thinking of not proceeding with the internet service. I think that might have been Winson's boss. However as I was giving them stick for being tricky and not upfront with this information, I remembered that the other option HKBNET or whatever it is is NOT in my new building so I stop short of making the guy rip up the paper. At that point the other sales lady lets me sign for 24 months for the phone. I wanted to keep everything to the same dates for the same company and not have my internet ending 6 months before the phone etc.

I think it really comes down to the quality and character of the sales person. The Fortress guy at CWB in Times Square, Vincent Wong, is a guy I'd send my 89 year old mom too knowing that she'd get good treatment from him. In fact, Vincent is the type of person I'd hire in my business in a second.

Oh, that stuff about Fortress forcing you to return it in the original box is bogus. I was told of this when I bought my order and I asked what would happen if I didn't bring it back in the box. He said they would make me take the replacement item (iron, kettle) home with out the original box. Hardly what they were criticized for in an earlier post.

Now I will let you all know if it works out next week...lol.
    Last edited by Football16; 27-06-2009 at 11:51 PM.

I recently went HDTV shopping at Broadway and Fortress, and for the same model, a 50 panasonic plasma, their offer was about 30% higher than what I was offered in mainland, guangzhou to be exact. Am I missing something here? I know HK is no longer the cheapest place to buy these electronics stuff, but should I expect to pay that much of a premium here? Or I should try some other stores here? Like CMK, etc as Skyhood suggests?

Well in my opinion for places like Fortress or Broadway, they're good places with great deals (economy of scale like Wal-mart? I don't know...) IF you know what are you buying, but you don't get fakes at chains like these.

It's just like shopping at your local grocery versus Park'N'Shop, your grocery probably knows the products they sell but you don't expect people at Park'N'Shop to know if this brand of cake makes you really fat or not.

Quote Originally Posted by md23
    I recently went HDTV shopping at Broadway and Fortress, and for the same model, a 50 panasonic plasma, their offer was about 30% higher than what I was offered in mainland, guangzhou to be exact. Am I missing something here? I know HK is no longer the cheapest place to buy these electronics stuff, but should I expect to pay that much of a premium here? Or I should try some other stores here? Like CMK, etc as Skyhood suggests?
    pries in Broadway and Fortress are always more expensive, eg, memory cards, small acessories up to 50% more, general electronics possibly up to 20% to 30% more,
    cheapest prices on ????? Price.com.hk ( sadly only in chinese)

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    pries in Broadway and Fortress are always more expensive, eg, memory cards, small acessories up to 50% more, general electronics possibly up to 20% to 30% more,
    cheapest prices on ????? Price.com.hk ( sadly only in chinese)
    Thanks, I bought my TV yesterday, from AV Life at Causeway Bay. The price is about $1,000 cheaper than Fortress considering all discounts.

Has anyone else had the following problem? and any
    Any and all advice as to what can be done about it would be extremely appreciated....

My girlfriend and I bought a Toshiba television set from Fortress about three weeks.
    To make a long story short, the TV set is a complete dud.

Let's forget about the poor "customer service" of both Fortress and Toshiba.
    The point is that we have a TV set on our hands that "works" in fits and starts.
    Sometimes we have a picture, other times we don't.
    Sometimes, we have sound, other times we don't.

When the "Toshiba Man" finally makes the time to come around, the sound is working perfectly.
    He leaves and the next day the sound is gone again.

Have you ever tried getting through to Toshiba's "customer service?"
    Ever tried communicating with those on the other end of the line? They speak a language I have never heard before.
    What IS it? So, getting through is totally useless as what you are saying is not getting through.
    And I thought the "customer service" at PCCW and NOW was bad.

Bottom line: We have been sold a bill of goods, Fortress and Toshiba must come clean about this and I am very tired from being given the runaround by both companies.

If Fortress and Toshiba cannot deliver the goods, they should not be in business.
    It's as simple as that.

Oh, by the way, the Fortess site was "down" the day I wrote this!

We purchased our JVC 46 inch tv from Fortress. After having JVC install it in July, mounting it to the wall for us, after about 2 weeks the cathode wouldn't energise.

I phoned up JVC customer service in TST, and the girl booked in an on site service call, which took place 2 days later. The part they replaced didn't make any difference, the service man hinted that it might be best to just have the TV replaced with another new one. They came back a week later with a new one, and the sales manager attended to make sure we were happy. WOW I was blown away . The replacement has been great ever since, so, happy lil Vegemites we are.

Fortress have very little say, or much responsibility, better that they are not involved, and to just deal directly with the company that is legally responsible for the product warranty. Getting angry with the service dept also is a bad idea, unless you want your warranty claim dragged out. I have always been nice/polite to the service people when we have needed it, and things were always sorted out in an above satisfactory time frame.

Hong Kong being the tiny geographic location that it is, it might be worth considering a visit to the distributor/service agent of Toshiba HK, lodge your receipt, with the carton barcode/serial number
    stapled to that and pay them a visit in person. they will issue you a claim/reference number and a direct number to call the person handling your warranty claim, and all should be peachy from there on.

Good luck

Last edited by Skyhook; 26-10-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Like Skyhook above I also suffered a similar problem, albeit back in 2005. Purchased a 42" Panasonic from Broadway and within a couple of weeks was having problems. Contacted Panasonic and their engineer turned up next day. Had an idea of what the problem was so attempted a fix which did not work, so within a week the TV was replaced with a new one which still works great 4 years later.

Service in HK is usually performed by the manufacturer (or whoever they have assigned to do that) so keep badgering at Toshiba.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast