Like Tree6Likes

Beware: electronics chain "Fortress"

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I bought my Phillips TV from Fortress and it wasn't working right when the guy put it in so he left it and said they'd be back with a new one which they did. Found out it was the reception in this place and with their suggestions, it is now perfect.

I also had to return one item to Fortress and upgraded. Some of the best service ever.

Hi Im going to be going to HK for the first time in 2 weeks and want to buy a decent budget level 15" laptop or possibly netbook. Dont want an acer but would have either an asus of samsung. My friends in HK have suggested both fortress and broadway are these the best bet for me and how are they with foreigners etc. Ive heard of horror stories (products switched that sort of thing) and how do I get on with manufacturers warranties etc?

thx

I've never had a problem with Fortress - no hassle, reasonable (not cheapest) price but with all the warranties etc and when there once was a fault with an item they replaced it without question.

Always able to negotiate with Fortress & Broadway and typically get them to match my lowest market prices on high end photo lenses and accessories. Only morons get taken for a ride at Fortress. If you know the product you're buying and you know the market price it is never an issue. Uneducated consumers are just walking ATMs.

The other thing about Fortress and the like is the superb deals on display products.

Last week at the Shatin store they well selling a 24" iMac - the 2.93Ghz, 4MB, 640GB model as end of line and as display model for the princely sum of HK$7995. Absolute bargain considering the idiots on the classified here and on the other side are trying to sell their second hand models for over HK$12k!

jaykay - that is indeed a good price.

By the way, we go to the fortress in Aberdeen and have seen dozens of bargains. The camera guys happily knocked of $200 from the price of a camera which was being sold for list only at Sony and threw in a 4GB card + generic case.

As someone correctly pointed out the above spec should be 4GB, not 4MB - that's the sort of typing that can bring down joint space missions (for those who can remember)! Cheers for the green though

I actually never purchase my home electrical products at broadway or fortress after being told by a friend that they mark up their price by like 10-20%. i would go to one of those mom and pops stores and never find any problems.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I WILL NOT BUY ANY STUFF IN EITHER STORES
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by fergie
    Beware of the electronics chain "Fortress". They will sell you things that are broken, even high-end models like JBL and HP. They take no responsibility for purchases after you walk you of the store which makes me think they they have these rules set in place because they know their products are shoddy. The problem is they sell American-branded items that are made in China and are often of lesser quality. My experience with them has been very saddening and frustrating. I am writing this to caution other consumers. Broadway is a (slightly) better alternative.
    I used to travel to Hong Kong regularly and was always warned about Electronic stores in there. The warning are true of most stores, however I found Fortress to be exactly opposite of the above quote. I have bought digital cameras, various computer electronics and I always make sure that I visit one of the stores when I'm in town.

Their prices are good, a lot better than the airport duty free prices, they are knowledgeable and their service good.

I always receive my goods in a totally factory sealed box and therefore brand new.

Fortunately, I have never had to return anything as non of my purchases have gone faulty, however I am confident that if I did, I would get looked after.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast