Like Tree6Likes

Beware: electronics chain "Fortress"

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Fortress stores Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by fergie
    Beware of the electronics chain "Fortress". They will sell you things that are broken, even high-end models like JBL and HP. They take no responsibility for purchases after you walk you of the store which makes me think they they have these rules set in place because they know their products are shoddy. The problem is they sell American-branded items that are made in China and are often of lesser quality. My experience with them has been very saddening and frustrating. I am writing this to caution other consumers. Broadway is a (slightly) better alternative.
    I used to travel to Hong Kong regularly and was always warned about Electronic stores in there. The warning are true of most stores, however I found Fortress to be exactly opposite of the above quote. I have bought digital cameras, various computer electronics and I always make sure that I visit one of the stores when I'm in town.

Their prices are good, a lot better than the airport duty free prices, they are knowledgeable and their service good.

I always receive my goods in a totally factory sealed box and therefore brand new.

Fortunately, I have never had to return anything as non of my purchases have gone faulty, however I am confident that if I did, I would get looked after.

Quote Originally Posted by roche
    THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I WILL NOT BUY ANY STUFF IN EITHER STORES
    Posted via Mobile Device
    If that's what you conclude from the posts so be it. Your loss.

i have bought the following from Fortress: 2 x 37" LCD TV's / Fridge / Printer / DC / Microwave / Toaster / Blender. Not had any problems, For the expensive stuff that only came with a few years manufactures warranty, i added a few $100 more to get the fortress extended warranty and it has come in handy, especially for the fridge when a component broke after 3 years of use, called up fortress and they arranged for the manufacture to come and fix it.

So for the people that think Fortress is crap, its your loss.

Whilst I agree about Fortress in general, how does the cost of all those extended warranties compare with the cost of a new fridge (or of getting the fridge repaired)? Every analysis I have seen says that "extended warranties" are hugely profitable for the insurers (and hence hugely loss-making for the retail customers.

Insurance....hmmm, swings and roundabouts.

Suppose I've been lucky, the only 2 things that have needed repair have been the most expensive and both still under manufacturers warranty with no issues afterwards, luckily as I've never bought extended warranties.

I think my washing machine may need replacing soon, but that beast is 5 years old and lets face it the cost of extended warranties for that period would pay for a new one anyway.

If I blew another 30K on another TV and it packed up a day after the manufacturers warranty expired then maybe I'd kick myself up the arse.......however the flip side is I've never paid for extended warranties for the past 15 years so actually would be in pocket should that happen. I think. I hope. My optimism is my life.

On average you must be - Extended Warranties only exist because on average people pay in more in premiums than they get back. This must be true for all insurance, otherwise insurance companies would not be viable businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    On average you must be - Extended Warranties only exist because on average people pay in more in premiums than they get back. This must be true for all insurance, otherwise insurance companies would not be viable businesses.
    While this is probably true, this is not necessarily the case at all. Any insurance company really consists of two units: An underwriting arm and investment arm. If the latter had the ability to produce super-normal investment returns (and many used to, but arguably do not any more - but this is a completely separate discussion), it could cross-subsidize the underwriting business.

fth

Older experience. Bought a large flat screen tv when the colour went weird after two months. It took me a while due to work pressures and they tried to duck the replacement issue. Complaining loudly on a Saturday afternoon in the large shop in Central persuaded them eventually to my point of view as customers were fleeing out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by fth
    Older experience. Bought a large flat screen tv when the colour went weird after two months. It took me a while due to work pressures and they tried to duck the replacement issue. Complaining loudly on a Saturday afternoon in the large shop in Central persuaded them eventually to my point of view as customers were fleeing out the door.
    And why did you not contact the manufacturer directly for warranty repairs as most people do and is noted on the receipt?

fth

Faulty good supplied by fortress only three months after purchase. They offered a repair at first - relented to replace it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast