Like Tree6Likes

Beware: electronics chain "Fortress"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Beware: electronics chain "Fortress"

Beware of the electronics chain "Fortress". They will sell you things that are broken, even high-end models like JBL and HP. They take no responsibility for purchases after you walk you of the store which makes me think they they have these rules set in place because they know their products are shoddy. The problem is they sell American-branded items that are made in China and are often of lesser quality. My experience with them has been very saddening and frustrating. I am writing this to caution other consumers. Broadway is a (slightly) better alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by fergie
    Beware of the electronics chain "Fortress". They will sell you things that are broken, even high-end models like JBL and HP. They take no responsibility for purchases after you walk you of the store which makes me think they they have these rules set in place because they know their products are shoddy. The problem is they sell American-branded items that are made in China and are often of lesser quality. My experience with them has been very saddening and frustrating. I am writing this to caution other consumers. Broadway is a (slightly) better alternative.
    Which brand from Western country X do you think does actually still manufacturer in that same country? Not many I would say, even famous British brands like Arcam have stuff made in China, at least partially.

As for the rest of your claim I think you should provide some more info, i.e. what did you buy, what was faulty and what did the shop say when you went to claim warranty?

Was this at one store or many?
    I've purchased practically all of my electronics at Fortress, and when I discovered a battery was defective (after 4 months) I went back to the shop and the lady checked my receipt, tested the battery and swapped me a new one without batting an eyelid.
    On the parallel import, well, I tried to negotiate the price off my camera and they told me very candidly "we can only do that price on the ones made in China, but not for those made in Japan"
    If this is a specific store I would suggest writing to custmer service and let them know exactly what happened to you.
    I've been to a few Fortresses and will still go back for my next purchase.

Fortress may have poor service in exchanges, but quality is not worse than elsewhere, and prices are usually excellent...

I have always bought electronics items from Fortress, 2 37" lcs tvs, refrigerator, washing machine, digital cameras, printers, blender, toasters. All from different fortress shops in different areas, not once have i had a problem.

Damm it sure does looks like I use Fortress a lot.

So what did you buy, was it delivered, did you not check it when buying or when it was delivered, did it breakdown after the 7 days return policy. Please give more info.

OOps ... was about the delete this thread. We rarely ever let a complaint from a first time poster slip through, as these are generally drive by complaints and the original poster rarely ever comes back or posts on other topics.

On well .. lets see how far this one goes....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Fortress has been around for over 20 years. If it was that bad, how come its lasted so long, considering all the competition? Well, other than its part of the Watson Group of course...

I do sympathise tho - esp if you're new to the country, don't speak the local language, probably overstressed and just simply frustrated in general - to have this happen is just downright annoying and I'd want to vent to anyone who would listen.

hmm...could this actually be a subtle attempt at advertising for Broadway?

A-J

I've been here for 8 years and used fortress quite few times and never had a problem. They've been nothing but helpful. Have you tried to take it to the management? They give a warranty and they can't just walk away from it.

I've had a bad experience with Fortress, but a faulty product is a faulty product and they refunded me my money (although a bit reluctant). I would still use Fortress or Broadway, depends on the offers.

If Fortress was so bad and Broadway is only a "slighty" better alternative, where would you suggest people buy their electrical goods and appliances? I guess Jusco and Sogo are alternatives, but are they better? I'm sure all goods are prone to damage whilst in transit etc.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast