Where to Next

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to Next

Hi all server geeks.

It has been refreshing to find some local HK people who can walk and talk the geek speak. Though i will admit eldson, Mr Moo and hk.com can generally go way over my head!

Here is the go:

I currently run a small on the side webhosting company out of VPS in the US.

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a dedicated server and adding Xen or Virtuozzo and reselling plans in HK, essentially a step up from what i presently have - a VPS.

I have a few friends who run small businesses that have a night mare of a backup policy - ie they dont or they do and leave the backup usb drive a foot from the computer and never take it home.

Which brings me to my next idea of offering small time off site storage in conjunction with the VPS plans.

While the US is obviously very cheap for VPS and dedicated plans i wonder if i can get something comparable here. I was thinking HK hosted since the off site storage speeds might be better for local businesses.

Suggest companies? Thoughts on HK speeds?

As an aside - i would like to make up a vps server at home to use a development machine - any second hand servers going - many a beer will be bought n return!

thanks.

Backup? Simply something like Mozy or Jungle Disk running off Amazon S3 is probably the cheapest, fastest, and most convenient way to go.

I think I remember seeing some shitty HK or Chinese variation on the theme in the local magazines.

(edit) probably something like http://www.backup.com.hk/ as it seems sufficiently out of date, 2007 copyright.

This one looks new: http://www.website-solution.net/onli...roduction.html, similar to http://www.readyspace.com.hk/en/web_...backup_server/.

Ashay advertises a lot in local press for onsite backups, this site suggests offsite too http://portal.uniforce.net/en/offsitebackup

Last edited by MrMoo; 18-03-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Mr Moo .. are you using any of the S3 based backup solutions in production or even trialing them?

wookienz ... how serious do you want to go? Should not be too difficult to do an rsync based setup on a VPS here in HK.

FYI - Trialed VPSHosting.Com.HK and their disk IO was pretty bad. They blamed it on a Virtuozzo problem. Unzipping a file on my local server would take 1.2 seconds. On SimVPS would take about 4 seconds and on VPSHosting it would take about 1.4 mins.

Point being . be careful .. not all VPS solutions are equal ...

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Mr Moo .. are you using any of the S3 based backup solutions in production or even trialing them?
    Not enough upload bandwidth, my office creates a lot of high resolution images and it's just utterly impractical. Hence I've been more interested in the higher broadband speeds, Google mail is already routing through HKIX, Amazon might be doing something similar even though their closest site is Japan.

I planned to have mail and files in a HK data centre but the administrators were telling me most clients were leaving for office based servers and the reduced revenue tied with the pricing battles makes their services poo. I can access servers in NYC faster than many of the hosting data centres here.

I have my own nice aircon server room in my office now that I'm quite happy with for internal needs and often host L4D out-of-hours as there were not enough servers in HK earlier this year.

I did look through some of my bookmarks and looked at why we did not use Jungledisk ... no support for Freebsd ... yet.

hi guys, with speed of the replies it is almost IRC!

I did suggest they build an old desktop up for a nix server to drop the data to, then i could rsync it off.

Im starting to wonder whether HK is worth the effort and just staying the states for everything. Im trying to tell myself that co locating gear is not as good as renting dedicated - just the thought of shiny new servers is hard to resist!

Any of you chaps working in a DC?

colo in HK is too expensive. If you have a office in a reasonable area look at getting a line in.

I think there are some dc types that go for HK.Coms happy hour. Check it out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I've always leaned towards the rsync route.. If it's not broken -- right. I have played around with a few VPSes in Hong Kong as well, (yupapa and simvps) but they've left me with a pretty bitter taste in my mouth.

It's not that I have contempt for Hong Kong IT or technology, I guess I just sort of wish things were more developed here. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

I looked at doing a off site backup service a few years back. We developed the technology; fw, vpn access to: Windows file serving-smb, backup, incremental backups with compression, snap shotting, web interfaces, sinigle sign on etc.

I did all the due diligence on 4 or 5 data centers, 4 of them failed due to physical, security, shit routing within HKIX or simply would not give clear 100Mbit circuits within HK.

We have all the hardware to run it due to our used hardware trading. Even though we own the technology and had sorted out the data center, got the DC to give us a few internal docs on their network/bandwidth, we eneded up shelving the project.

This kind of business needs scale. You need something like 150 installations to make it function and also you need at least one staff to manage installations.

How does one determine if data is routed by the HKIX?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast