GPS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GPS?

A search through forum yielded nothing, so does anyone here have real experience with car GPS devices? I've heard that the tall buildings in here make GPS a bit redundant and I'm not inclined to trust the GPS sales men =/

So any recommends or is memorizing a map easier? =)

Ta

Thumbs up GPS

Hello Ta,

I have found my GPS very useful. Yes, depending on the sensitivity of the model you buy you will experience loss of signal around high density multi-story buildings. An outside antenna helps.

Cheers,

DV

Hi DV, what GPS unit do you use? and how much is it? can it be used as a handheld rather than attaching it to a car? thanks.

Yes would like to know the model if you're willing?

Thanks DV

BTW Ta as in thanks (ta very much)

Hi... Does anyone know what GPS unit is usefull with HK,SG,Philippines,US maps.. and can also be used for Golf course maps? hope anyone can help. thanks.

For the OP -- Look for a unit that is WAAS enabled and has the SiRF III chipset. I have a handheld Garmin I use in the US for overlanding, and even without an external antenna it will maintain satellite connection through heavy tree cover and in narrow canyons. I mount it in my Land Rover using a RAM mount on the dash near the windshield.

Thanks TS888. but is it useful in HK where there are lots of tall buildings?

"...even without an external antenna it will maintain satellite connection through heavy tree cover and in narrow canyons."

That is my point -- it is designed to cope with obstacles.

Got it. thanks again TS888

A follow up comment -- I'm not recommending Garmin, just the WAAS and SiRFIII, which are standards. I'm not sure Garmin has good maps of HK. They might, but I haven't confirmed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast