Which netbook?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Its a software update to 3.0 so its not a new Iphone, All it'll do is give you extra functionality such as cut and paste and forwarding of texts etc.

As and when 3.0 is released you'll be asked to update the software when you synch it through Itunes.
    oh sweet, i thought i was going to be way behind the times again!

Quote Originally Posted by plyoung22:
    Powertop looks really useful. How do you get this utility? Can you ask for it with the netbook or download or purchase separately?
    You can get it here: LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux

Original Post Deleted
    Last edited by MrMoo; 27-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.

New HP Mini 2140 might do you

I just bought a netbook with similar specs. The HP Mini 2140 isn't as light as some of the other netbooks out there--it runs right around 3 pounds--but the screen is nicely sized, if a little shiny. The keyboard is dynamite, 92% full size. For the OS, it runs XP, NOT Vista, so it is reasonably snappy for an N270 Atom processor with even just 1 GB of RAM and a ho-hum 160GB 5400rpm SATA hard disk. Fit and finish are solid and professional, it doesn't feel cheap and plasticky like many of the other netbooks out there.

It comes with a 6-cell lithium battery, which doubles as a keyboard incliner the way it slots in, and also gives it a respectable 5-hour runtime, which I get pretty consistently. Interestingly, you can't even buy the 3-cell version from the online store--apparently it is only available from the Service Center. Even stranger, the 6-cell will set you back around 900 HKD, while the 3-cell runs well over a 1000 HKD. Very strange. i'd only want the 3-cell as a backup to cut the weight down when out for a 2-3 hour jaunt around town, but apparently HP has other ideas.

The touchpad mouse buttons are a bit odd in their placement (one on each side of the tochpad) but work well enough. Personally, I'd prefer the eraser-tip touchpoint style mouse, but I then again I was weaned on IBM laptops in the office, so go figure.

The machine costs just under 4000 HKD, although I'm sure you can knock off 200 or so if you haggle them in the Mong Kok or Wanchai computer center. I had haggling (I know--it's Asia, but there it is) so I bought mine in Fortress.

Couple this unit with a nice mobile broadband modem, USB or ExpressCard, and you have a nice combo of portability and connectivity that won't weigh you down.

Hope that was helpful! ---Brian

Very! Thank you Brian. The PCmag link was also invaluable from Tigersun. The MSI Wind seems to have a terrific write-up so long as you get a 6 cell battery.
    Integrated wireless is only sporadically mentioned - an essential feature I would imagine..

Samsung NC10, Lenova S10e, HP mini 1000

The Samsung NC10, HP mini 1000 have largest size keyboards.
    NC10 is elegant and biggest screen and good resolution.
    HP mini has 7400rpm harddrive.
    I think you want 6cell battery, 160G HD, English windows XP.
    NC10 come standard with CHinese Windows, need to ask store
    to re-install English Windows.
    I find HP's touchpad select/menu button layout get into
    the way of typing.
    Lenovo S10e is slightly smaller keyboard, but it has 1.5G mem,
    support for memory stick reader. It has a Quick Start app
    that you can play photo slides, music, browse internet, skype call
    without having to boot up windows.

Most netbooks are 1.3xkg, Lenovo S10e is 1.25kg but
    keyboard and screen still good size. Be sure to differentiate
    the S10e (1.5G mem) model from the S10 (1G mem) model.

I'd like some advice on buying a netbook.

All I want is to write, use the internet and probably store a lot of music/photo/word files.
    No fancy graphics or gaming needs.

I will need a long battery life, large screen and fairly good sized keyboard.

The main problem I always have with computers is that the more you store on them the slower they get.
    So perhaps I need advice on what size hard drive to get, or how to upgrade?

And it would be useful to know if anyone has had problems with netbooks, or whether apple will be bringing something affordable out in the near future which would be worth waiting for...

The 2140 is coming out in an HD version in a few days (in the US anyway), and the price difference is expected to be $25. Went and looked at the 2140 today. It's nice, but I'm going to wait for the HD version.

sorry to be thick, but what is a HD version?

sorry to be thick, but what is a HD version?
    Hard Drive or Hard Disk Drive (HDD). Normally netbooks come with a solid state disk drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Hard Drive or Hard Disk Drive (HDD). Normally netbooks come with a solid state disk drive.
    Sorry guys, I meant the High Definition version. Higher resolution.