Like Tree3Likes

Kindle in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can someone pretty please let me know what the web surfing experience is on a Kindle 2?

Are you able to goto sites such as:
    geoexpat
    facebook
    gmail
    greader

I'm am > < close to ordering one but two things are holding me back:
    1. will apple's rumored tablet compete in this space?
    2. can I browse the web in a manner that doesn't feel like I'm using a WAP browser on a 300baud modem?

Has anyone purchased the Kindle 3 recently here in Hong Kong?

We are thinking about getting one for our older daughter. She reads and reads and reads. We have to force her to put down her books when it's dinner time.

Is Amazon.com the only place that you can get them? I was in Toronto a few weeks ago and they were on sale at Chapters.

I'm also trying to understand the shipping costs to Hong Kong and whether there is a reduction on multiple unit purchases.

Thanks!

Just in case anyone is interested in ordering a Kindle 3 from Amazon.com, it is possible to have it shipped to Hong Kong. The shipping cost table is not very well written on their website but when I order mine (plus a case), it came out to US$26.97. Based on my understanding of the table, I would have expected it to be either only US$14.99 or US$20.98. It is this much because it can only be shipped under the Priority Courier option. Standard or Expedited shipping options are not allowed. So if you plan on ordering a Kindle along with other items like books, don't do it as a bundle unless you really need those other items within 2-4 days. Just do two separate orders instead. I ordered four books and the shipping on them went from over $50 down to something like $23.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

jgl likes this.

Still waiting for the Asus DR-900 to hit the streets later this month. Below is the TZ version that has just been released to a special interest group

Last edited by East_coast; 24-10-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    We are thinking about getting one for our older daughter. She reads and reads and reads. We have to force her to put down her books when it's dinner time.
    maybe getting her a kindle is not the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    maybe getting her a kindle is not the best idea.
    (I am not sure if you really meant what you are saying or if it is a matter of me not being able to 'listen' to your tone and mannerism through the internet while saying the above but...) Actually we feel that we are very fortunate that she does love to read so much. It is not another thing that we have to force her to do. I would rather us have to force her to put down the book than to have to force her to read her books whether they are for homework or for leisure. This is just a matter of proper parenting...

And having all of her books on Kindle will be much easier to control. With regular books, she will have many that she can turn to if we take away the one that she is reading at the time but with Kindle, we just have to the Kindle away and that's it. So this is one of those unusual situations where technology really does make things simpler. LOL.

I think it's a great idea. I witnessed a very rare sight recently, in a coffee shop. There was a family with three kids, I'd say 11, 14 and 17 or so. The 11 year-old was the only one reading a book, the other two were 'thumbing' on their devices almost the entire time. It was lovely to see a child with a book (or kindle).

Rayzilla likes this.

I have the kindle software on my computer and iphone and have had zero problems buying kindle books on the US website using a HK credit card.

Rayzilla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I think it's a great idea. I witnessed a very rare sight recently, in a coffee shop. There was a family with three kids, I'd say 11, 14 and 17 or so. The 11 year-old was the only one reading a book, the other two were 'thumbing' on their devices almost the entire time. It was lovely to see a child with a book (or kindle).
    Agreed, for kids or adults an e-reader device is a no-brainer, particularly if you travel, the screen technology does not cause any more strain on the eyes than a paper book.

The problem with kid's books is that there doesn't seem to be many titles available in e-book format, although this will depend on the age/reading preferences of the child. If this information is inaccurate I would appreciate any links to kid friendly e-book sites, it will give me the opportunity to 'hand down' my Sony and get one of the newer tech models

Just an update regarding delivery time. I placed the order last Thursday afternoon and the package has already arrived as of yesterday morning. That makes it a Thursday afternoon order and a Monday morning arrival. Quite fast!

We are planning to give the Kindle to our older daughter as an 'early' Christmas present. I'll be unpacking it and going over the reader with her this weekend when we can spend some time together downloading some 'free' books to get her started. Then we'll probably get her some more books at Christmas time - the ones that we will have to pay for.

For Stoob and others, I will post an update if anyone is interested in the availability of free e-books for children in the age range between 7 and 9. And I may also check into some of the pay ones if I am in a good mood this weekend. LOL.

Last edited by Rayzilla; 26-10-2010 at 09:17 AM.