Like Tree3Likes

Kindle in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kindle in Hong Kong

Hi

Just watched Oprah tonight and saw a device called the Kindle - did a wee bit of research on line and I can get one but it states the
    'wireless wont work here in HK' what does that mean ?

Total technophobe - would really like it for my husband to download books and maybe UK newspapers if possible ?

It means that you can't buy books wirelessly from Amazon. Actually, according to a friend who has one in Sydney, you can't even buy books online unless you register a US credit card with Amazon, which would make it useless to you if you're a technophobe. However, I could be wrong on this as I don't actually own a Kindle- even as a semi-techie I can't bear how ugly that thing is

I've got the Sony version. Again, it's not designed to work without a US address, but this is pretty easy to get around as long as you're comfortable using third party apps.

It has a built in GSM phone that is paid and managed by Amazon. Special network deals would have to be arranged in every country for it to operate and for the service to be setup.

You are correct, you need a US credit card and address. I have a Kindle that I bought when I made a trip back to the US. I can only download books when I am there but it holds 1500 books so I download a lot everytime I go back. I absolutely love it - hopefully Amazon will make arrangements in Hong Kong in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    It has a built in GSM phone that is paid and managed by Amazon. Special network deals would have to be arranged in every country for it to operate and for the service to be setup.
    No, it does not - it has a built-in CDMA modem, which is why it couldn't even roam here, on the off-chance that someone had made the necessary roaming agreements. There have been rumours of a global/GSM version coming later this year, but it would probably still need a non-HK credit card because of crappy book licensing deals...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    No, it does not - it has a built-in CDMA modem, which is why it couldn't even roam here, on the off-chance that someone had made the necessary roaming agreements. There have been rumours of a global/GSM version coming later this year, but it would probably still need a non-HK credit card because of crappy book licensing deals...
    Not any more!!!

There is an international GSM version now:

International Kindle ships October 19 to over 100 countries for $279, 'US' edition falls to $259

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I saw that... damn, I'm tempted. It is Amazon.com Help: Transferring, Downloading, and Sending Files to use the wireless stuff outside the US, since you're basically roaming, but you can still 'sideload' by copying stuff to your PC first.
    (someone's trying to be clever with Amazon links!)

[Added] It should be: Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41t7SWZ2vpL.@@AMEPARAM@@41t7SWZ2vpL
    Last edited by shri; 07-10-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: being clever ... shows up now...

I saw that... damn, I'm tempted. It is more expensive to use the wireless stuff outside the US, since you're basically roaming, but you can still 'sideload' by copying stuff to your PC first.
    (someone's trying to be clever with Amazon links!)
    The Kindle international will be available to US customers at present. You still need a US billing address, etc, however when you roam, you won't be charged extra rates. Its the deal they have done with AT&T.

However Kindle will be launching in other countries shortly, including the UK. Not sure about HK though.

Just to update: Kindle will be sold in China. No word on HK though.
    Last edited by pin; 07-10-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: new information

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    The Kindle international will be available to US customers at present. You still need a US billing address, etc, however when you roam, you won't be charged extra rates. Its the deal they have done with AT&T.

However Kindle will be launching in other countries shortly, including the UK. Not sure about HK though.

Just to update: Kindle will be sold in China. No word on HK though.
    Not sure where you got that information - I see clear information about shipping to Hong Kong, buying and downloading books in Hong Kong, and so on. In fact, according to a third-party site (I'm not quite sure where they got this from) Hong Kong is one of only three countries (yes, territories, whatever) where the unlimited web browsing enjoyed in the US will also work - along with Japan and Mexico, for maximum randomness.

Still tempted...

Not sure where you got that information - I see clear information about shipping to Hong Kong, buying and downloading books in Hong Kong, and so on. In fact, according to a third-party site (I'm not quite sure where they got this from) Hong Kong is one of only three countries (yes, territories, whatever) where the unlimited web browsing enjoyed in the US will also work - along with Japan and Mexico, for maximum randomness.

Still tempted...
    You are correct.

Also you are correct on the unlimited data bit.

Its on the amazon.com website. You can buy directly from amazon.com and it will ship to HK.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast